Back to School Bundt Cake-4

Back to School Sponge Cake with Greek Yogurt Glaze

August 18, 2016 | 8 comments

Well it’s school starting season again and you know what that means… – CAKE!

Okay fine, it doesn’t actually mean cake, it means 6 2 inch books (try carrying that around and I wish I was joking or at least, exaggerating but no) and a boatload of homework on the first week plus teachers trying to scare people out of classes (again, I wish I was joking). But despite of everything, there’s CAKE!

Back to School Bundt Cake-2

Back to School Bundt Cake-1
Back to School Bundt Cake-3

Back to School Bundt Cake-5

Back to School Bundt Cake-12

As you can see, I’m slightly freaking out about CAKE! right now, but that’s a-okay.

And that’s because this cake is pretty awesome. One bowl, 5 ingredients, so light, so fluffy. Plus, there’s this absolutely delicious tangy honey greek yogurt glaze. Since there’s greek yogurt, that’s totally a reason to dip ALLL the cake into it because isn’t Greek yogurt supposed to be some kind of super food? (Trust me, I know… There was an SAT grammar practice section on the benefits of Greek yogurt, I kid you not.)

PouringGlaze
Back to School Bundt Cake-6

Back to School Bundt Cake-13

Back to School Bundt Cake-11

Back to School Bundt Cake-14

Back to School Bundt Cake-15

Back to School Bundt Cake-15

Anyways, maybe you’re wondering why this cake is dubbed “back to school” besides the fact that school is starting. Mainly, because I thought there ain’t gonna be anybody who has the time to bake a 3 layer, filled, and elaborately decorated cake during school season -but maybe some of you do… -but more likely, you aren’t in school. For you, this is the easiest sponge cake ever. While some sponge cakes require carefully folding batter, this one whips the eggs all in one until a huge fluffy, thick ivory-yellow cloud forms. It’s charming, facile, and absolutely delicious.

Even better, it results in a beyond fluffy sponge cake with little hands-on time. Paired with the tangy ( healthy 😛 ) greek yogurt glaze, it’s the perfect clash of sweet and tangy with the floral honey.

Back to School Sponge Cake with Greek Yogurt Glaze
Super Easy Sponge Cake
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanila
2 tbsp oil
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
Honey Greek Yogurt Glaze
2-3 tbsp honey
5 tbsp greek yogurt
2-3 tbsp milk
For the cake

Grease a bundt cake pan and preheat the oven to 350 F.

Beat the eggs and sugar together until pale yellow and about tripled in size. Stir in the vanilla and oil.

Add the flour, salt, and baking soda into the mix and stir gently.

Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown.

Flip the cake and the pan upside down immediately after taking out of the oven to prevent deflation. Wait at least an hour for the cake to cool.

For the glaze

Mix 2 tbsp honey, greek yogurt, and 2 tbsp milk together. Taste and check the consistency -add more milk/honey if too thick/tart respectively.

Pour onto the cooled cake.

1. Hira on

August 18, 2016 at 8:40 pm says

I can’t. believe back to school season is upon us… I start school next Tuesday and I’m not ready! This cake looks delightful, and the best part is I have all the ingredients on hand. What classes are you taking to make junior year awesome (or awful)? :)

2. Christine on

August 18, 2016 at 8:55 pm says

I know right? I feel bad for you Anne. Those textbooks don’t sound like fun. Bonne chance this year! Keep posting more food!!! Those teachers will never succeed in scaring you away, though their textbooks might :P. The pictures look beautiful by the way. Makes me want to go make one myself. 😀

3. heather (delicious not gorgeous) on

August 19, 2016 at 1:59 am says

(most of the) uc’s are weird and don’t go back to school until the end of september, so i still have more than a month left. weird, especially since my brother just went back to school this week! work hard this semester, and then you can chill out all you want (within reason!) next semester.

anyways, love that you paired a pink flowery plate with this cake, since the skin on the nectarines is rosy pink (:

4. Fran @ G'day Souffle' on

August 22, 2016 at 8:28 pm says

Anne, this cake looks wonderful- I can’t believe you are only 16- your blog and recipes look much more ‘mature’ than your age (whatever that means)! I love Greek Yogurt- I eat it straight out of the container. You mention the SAT- hmm, that goes back a ways for me- like back to the 1960s!

5. Meghan | Fox and Briar on

August 23, 2016 at 10:30 pm says

Love this cake Anne! The photos are gorgeous, and that yogurt glaze! I’m sure this cake will get you through allll the SAT and homework sessions coming up :)

6. Claudia | The Brick Kitchen on

August 24, 2016 at 12:47 am says

Back to school is definitely the best reason for making cake! Weekend baking 100% got me through those last couple of years at school, and now blogging and eating gets me through uni haha. Love the sound of the honey greek yogurt glaze on this gorgeous cake too :)
    Hope the start of school goes well for you! xx

7. Agnieszka on

August 24, 2016 at 6:23 am says

It’s good reason to bake a cake! :) I like your minimalistic photo style very much :)

August 24, 2016 at 7:46 pm says

This cake looks incredible! I’d be super stoked about cake too if this was sitting in front of me! Love that Greek yogurt glaze – it looks divine. I can’t believe school has started so early, but I will definitely tell you that I have felt your pain with the homework and heavy school books, and it makes me never miss school! :p