Brown Butter Croissants-4 Hi, Iā€™m Anne. Iā€™m 13 16 and I like to make things. Food, baskets, websites, desserts (I know that's food but really...) -in short, anything.

Rice Pudding-1

Coconut Rice Pudding with Candied Peanuts {and Cilantro} -vegan, gluten free

July 15, 2016

Nobody wants to eat milky rice!

Eight years later, on the way back from France a friend told me You know, I don’t think we’ve had rice for two weeks!. We shared a laugh. As hamburgers are akin to America and croissants are akin to France, rice is to China (and probably the rest of Asia but I’m abashedly unknowledgeable about their cuisines). No joke. Although sometimes the “hamburger” is a little to emphasized (I had someone ask me if I ate hamburgers every day -I actually despise hamburgers), rice. is. not. to. be. taken. lightly.

Rice for breakfast, rice for lunch, rice for dinner -we even have rice cakes for snacks! Just kidding. Not really.

Coconut Rice Pudding with Candied Peanuts and Cilantro-2

Coconut Rice Pudding with Candied Peanuts and Cilantro-3
Coconut Rice Pudding with Candied Peanuts and Cilantro-9

Coconut Rice Pudding with Candied Peanuts-1

So even though Instagram has just discovered the amazing wonders of porridge, I have been eating/drinking it all day every day for the past 16 years (am I 16 now? wow I feel old) except for like the last 4-ish years when I got sick of it and went on strike. The white rice porridge is actually my favorite and purple/black-ish rice has a nice aroma too. I actually stopped because my parents started putting random beans, nuts, etc. and letting it stew overnight in a hot cauldron full of who knows what else.

But we’re not here to talk about my porridge preferences.

We are here to talk about rice and how rice 3 times a day becomes sickening. Now, lunch and dinner -rice comes in a bowl. And then you chopstick over sides. On some very special days we have white rice. On some even more special days, rice gets replaced with pasta. And on some really really really special days, rice is replaced with dumplings (a girl can dream…).

Coconut Rice Pudding with Candied Peanuts-2
Coconut Rice Pudding with Candied Peanuts and Cilantro-4

Coconut Rice Pudding with Candied Peanuts and Cilantro-8

Coconut Rice Pudding with Candied Peanuts and Cilantro-6

Coconut Rice Pudding with Candied Peanuts and Cilantro-5

So my family and I have naturally become very good at cooking rice (i.e. HEY RICE COOKER!!).

When I was 8, I saw this glorious rice pudding recipe in a fancy, glossy cover magazine. It looked delicious, creamy white, sugary, and IT HAD RICE! So of course, I had to try it -and obviously without asking permission first. What would be the fun of that? So into the rice cooker full of cooked rice, I added a few cups of milk, a TON of sugar, and 1 tsp of vanilla pudding (a story for later). I stirred for good measure and then turned the rice cooker back on.

My mom noticed that I was talking an unusual interest with the rice cooker and decided to taste a little bit. She determined it was absolutely the worst thing anyone could do with rice. Apparently, when she decided to take a taste out of an unassuming bowl of white rice 8 years later, rice pudding tastes okay and is no longer the worst thing ever.

I think I’ve succeeded as a daughter.

// I garnished with some cilantro at the end for a humble riff off of Cynthia’s brilliant Bangkok Ice Cream.

Coconut Rice Pudding with Candied Peanuts
Coconut Rice Pudding
3/4 cups jasmine rice
6 1/2 cups liquid (I used 1 1/2 cans coconut milk and the rest regular milk but if vegan, substitute a milder milk such as almond -just don't use all coconut or else the flavor will be overpowering)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg (optional)
Candied Peanuts
2 cups peanuts
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
Rice Pudding

Boil/simmer the rice and liquid over medium heat until thick.Take it off the heat and stir in the sugar and the egg.

Pour into a container to cool or eat right away.

Candied Peanuts

Line a baking pan with parchment paper

Pour peanuts, sugar, and water in a pan and stir over medium heat. The sugar will begin to crystallize, then melt.

When the sugar begins to caramelize wait 2-5 minutes (depending on how caramely you want them) and pour onto the baking sheet. Let cool before eating.

1. Heather (Delicious Not Gorgeous) on

July 15, 2016 at 3:04 pm says

if you’re talking about jook, i feel you. for the longest time i couldn’t stand it (my family makes it so that the rice gets blown out and there’s little texture besides glop), but i’m finally starting to come around (when the jook gets adorned with shiitake or lap cheong or shrimp or delicious things).

July 21, 2016 at 6:50 am says

YES that’s IT! But I’ve never heard of it under that name -it’s usually just called something roughly translated as “soupy rice” which makes it sound even less appetizing. The toppings are the best part šŸ˜€

2. Fran @ G'day Souffle' on

July 15, 2016 at 8:33 pm says

Now you’ve got me interested- particularly with the candied peanuts. ‘Joop’ and ‘glop’- these are certainly intriguing words and makes me realize that there are many kinds of rice that I don’t know about. Nice job!

July 21, 2016 at 6:51 am says

Hhahaaaa thank you Fran! Technically though, it was Heather who introduced it to you -I’m kinda just here to thank you for visiting! šŸ˜€

3. Angela on

July 16, 2016 at 4:21 am says

The rice porridge you refer to sounds similar to what my family refers to as “congee” or “jook”. I used to be served it plain (as in literally just cooked rice with water) every morning and hated it until I discovered I could crumble cookies in for a sweet and crunchy breakfast…or even better, mix in some scallions, soy sauce and an obscene amount of rousong.

Anyway, this seems intriguing; I discovered that rice pudding was a thing a couple of months ago but was hesitant to mix rice and milk. But now I’m simply too curious about the taste and textural aspects of rice, milk, sugar, egg, and candied peanuts.

Though as a side note, the peanuts look great as a snack by themselves :)

July 21, 2016 at 6:54 am says

YES I used to eat it with an obscene amount of rousong too except then my parents discovered that they were buying it every three days and stopped buying it :(

It actually tastes quite good once you get past the fact that OMG THERE IS MILK IN MY RICE. And yes, I accidentally made too many and was snacking on them for two-three weeks.

4. Tori//Gringalicious on

July 18, 2016 at 5:15 am says

This looks fabulous, I completely adore this flavor combo!

July 21, 2016 at 6:55 am says

Thank you Tori!

5. Hira on

July 19, 2016 at 7:42 pm says

I laughed when you said that someone asked you if you eat hamburgers everyday, haha. The same thing has happened to me, when my family from India was visiting they asked me the same thing (of course, I vehemently replied no)! This rice pudding looks amazing love the coconut combination. :)

July 21, 2016 at 6:56 am says

Hhahaaa exactly! Apparently sandwiches are a common theme too because I’ve had people ask if I eat sandwiches every day šŸ˜›
      Thank you so much Hira!

6. Megan @Meg is Well on

July 20, 2016 at 1:22 pm says

It looks so creamy and delicious! And those candied nuts are calling my name. I love the combo!

July 21, 2016 at 6:56 am says

Thank you Megan! Coconut is everything šŸ˜‰

7. Julia Mueller on

July 29, 2016 at 7:47 am says

I absolutely love rice pudding and especially adore it with coconut milk. I need this in my life ASAP with those candied peanuts!

August 2, 2016 at 8:31 am says

Yes, coconut milk and rice basically make the perfect combination, don’t they? šŸ˜‰

August 3, 2016 at 8:17 am says

It just looks amazing Anne !