Bubble Tea Affogato-5

Bubble Tea Affogato {gluten free}

May 8, 2016 | 21 comments

First, an apology. I’m sorry for giving you yet another dessert with bubbles and ruining a perfectly traditional Italian dessert. I say this like most other people apologizing, that is, without a twinge of regret. This bubble tea + ice cream mix turned out even more delicious than normal affogato and anything with bubbles and tea has my full 110% support and fully trumps every other dessert.

My fondness for bubble tea comes not from French class where somebody comes in nearly every day with a cup, but from the few months I spent in China. There, my mom and I would go out late night shopping (for those of you who haven’t experienced the night life in China, let’s just say it’s very bright) where I would complain for hours about how much I despised shopping (clearly, I am an excellent person to take shopping with you). Our most frequent destination was a big department kind of store with about 5-6 stories and huge escalators (because China has a lot of people 😛 ). The first floor didn’t even have anything related to the store –it was more of a “snacks” place, which of course became my favorite space in the entire store because who cares about dresses and random other pieces of stuff when there was FOOD? Needless to say, the bubble tea booth became my favorite and I don’t think it’s necessary to say how many times I asked my mom to go “shopping” at that particular stall.

Bubble Tea Affogato-1

Bubble Tea Affogato-2

Bubble Tea Affogato-4

Bubble Tea Affogato-9

The bubble tea that came out was always in a plastic cup that was going soft because of the hot liquid along with a thick brightly colored straw. One would have to drink it very carefully to avoid getting burned by the milky sweet tea but drink enough to actually get the bubbles. For some odd reason, I never bothered to try any of the other flavors so now I’m bound loyally to my dear milk “flavor.” 😛

While I’ve never quite came across a bubble tea –ice cream –affogato stand in China, this version is absolutely wonderful during the summer (although, ici, our weather is nothing like summer). Melty sweet ice cream combined with flavorful black tea forms one of the dreamiest milk teas and with impossibly chewy bubbles, it becomes the most amazing combination.

// Good luck to all those taking AP exams this week and next!

// I’m so sorry my posts have been so irregular lately… I have exams –sorry!

Bubble Tea Affogato-7

Bubble Tea Affogato-6

PouringTea

SpooningBubbles

Mixing

Bubble Tea Affogato
boba, prepared according to package (I leave them soaking in a 2:1 sugar:water bath for ~2 hours)
black tea
ice cream

Place two scoops of ice cream in a cup and pour over some tea. Spoon on the boba.

P.S. It’s quite good refrozen too.

Bubble Tea Affogato-13

1. Hira on

May 8, 2016 at 1:20 pm says

This looks AMAZING! And I’m with you, while I enjoy shopping sometimes, buying food is so much more fun! Also I have a quick question: where do you purchase boba? Here in Texas we are not very adventurous, sweet tea & Dr. Pepper are most people’s drink of choice. 😉

July 15, 2016 at 6:22 pm says

Oh sorry Hira -I just noticed this question (I actually read your comment weeks ago :|) Anyways, I bought it at a local Asian market. I hope you can find it!

2. Aria on

May 8, 2016 at 3:52 pm says

I LOVE bubble tea. A friend told me about it, and once, when we went out of town to get our silhouettes taken, (or cut?) I saw a little “light lunch” shop that said it had bubble tea. I tried a passionfruit slushy bubble tea. I’ve never had it since (because I can’t find organic large tapioca pearls or, boba) but it is so good! If I find organic boba I shall really have to try your recipe!! :)

July 15, 2016 at 6:23 pm says

Yes, boba is really good and bubble tea is even better 😀

3. Sabrina on

May 8, 2016 at 8:18 pm says

I love this!! What an awesome way to use bubble tea!

July 15, 2016 at 6:23 pm says

Thank you Sabrina!!

4. Josefine @ Sprouted Fig on

May 19, 2016 at 1:47 am says

Haha, I love your posts – you’re so cute! While I love shopping I can totally relate to the feeling of the food booths being way more interesting than the otters stuff. I mean – food!
    I am going to China in two weeks (whaaaat!?) and I can’t wait to taste all the food. Yumyumyum…
    This adffogato looks incredible. Where do you buy bubbles?

July 15, 2016 at 6:45 pm says

Thank you Josefine! Yes FOOD IS THE BEST (especially Chinese but I’m not picky :P) Sorry for getting to this so late… You’re already back 😛
      I bought the bubbles at a local Asian market (i.e. the BEST PLACE ON EARTH)

5. Kathleen | Hapa Nom Nom on

May 21, 2016 at 8:04 pm says

Oh… my… gawd! This is brilliant! I love the Asian/Italian twist of this treat! I’ve been meaning to make my own bubble tea for ages, but never thought to create such a wonderful combination! Awesome job! And beautiful photos too :)

July 15, 2016 at 6:45 pm says

Thank you so much Kathleen!!! Bubbles are the best 😀

6. Bea on

May 22, 2016 at 4:40 pm says

Wow!This looks absolutely amazing!

July 15, 2016 at 6:46 pm says

Thank you!

7. Shumaila | The Novice Housewife on

May 22, 2016 at 7:12 pm says

Brilliant pictures and an even brilliant recipe!! I am yet to visit China, but I tried bubble tea for the first time in Singapore and really enjoyed it. This really does look great. All the best for you exams!

July 15, 2016 at 6:47 pm says

Thanks Shumaila! Bubble tea is the best 😀

8. Fran @ G'day Souffle' on

May 23, 2016 at 2:25 am says

I constantly learn new things from other bloggers- which includes your post on Boba! I have never heard of it before. Good luck on your exams- I just finished turning in a huge people in French on one of Emile Zola’s books.

July 15, 2016 at 6:49 pm says

You must absolutely try it! Thank you so much Fran and I’ve never read Emile Zola but I really want to 😀

9. Dini @ The Flavor Bender on

May 26, 2016 at 9:35 am says

I am a Bubble tea fanatic!! I would have Bubble tea everyday when I lived in Aus, but can’t find it anywhere where I live now :( Definitely need to find some Boba pearls and give this a go! As an Affogato fanatic too, I have NO issues with this awesome twist! 😀 I wish I had some right now actually!

July 15, 2016 at 6:50 pm says

Hhahaaaa yes, I am too 😀 Thank you so much Dini!

10. heather (delicious not gorgeous) on

June 30, 2016 at 10:02 pm says

OH MY GOODNESS. can’t handle this. bubble tea / pearl milk tea / boba is super popular (i spend most of my time in asian-heavy bay area and southern california), and super delicious too! and i would have been veryyy intrigued if your french class got you interested in bubble tea lol.

July 15, 2016 at 6:50 pm says

Hahaaaa where did you get that? (looks around nervously)

11. Lyndsay // Coco Cake Land on

August 4, 2016 at 12:55 pm says

PERFECT combo!! I love milky tea with bubbles – love the affogato idea! So clever!