Search

One Bowl Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls-9

One Bowl Whole Wheat No Knead Cinnamon Rolls {vegan}

April 11, 2016 | 20 comments

While many people seem to have fond memories of food, I don’t. My memories are of burning sugar in the microwave (caramel anyone?) and almost putting cream cheese into cookies because I thought it was butter (I actually found out that both of those are things people do, microwave caramel and rugelach, respectively. Other than that, my food memories are sporadic, random, and completely unlike those cozy stories of people eating around a table and discussing.

One Bowl Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls-2

One Bowl Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls-6

One Bowl Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls-7

For cinnamon rolls, it’s a memory of a 9th grade field trip (omg that was last year -it seems so far away!) to a theater. The teacher offered one point of extra credit for anyone who dressed up and so all but one person dressed up (this teacher usually gave over 500 points per 9 weeks so this one point of extra credit would boost up your grade by 0.2% per quarter, 0.1% per semester which just shows how grueling hard that class was for all the students to come wearing dresses and suits). Anyhow, after the show in this big fancy theater, we went to a next door shopping mall for lunch. The lines were long, somebody got food poising, and my friends and I ate lunch and decided we also wanted a cinnamon roll. So we got one of those famously big gooey cinnamon buns and cut it evenly into 4 pieces and devoured it. And then we went home.

One Bowl Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls-4

One Bowl Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls-5

One Bowl Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls-8

So nothing really eventful, but that was probably the only cinnamon roll that I’ve eaten in my 16 years of existence that I didn’t make myself. When I make them, I prefer the cinnamon rolls that are healthy{ier} and hearty rather than those that are sweet and indulgent. If I want something more soft and like a cloud, I’ll eat a slice of cake but for breakfast, I prefer the substantial kind that’ll last me until 6th period lunch instead of crashing and burning during 2nd period physics. My other {recent} preference is that they be quick + easy to make + quick and easy to devour 😛

One Bowl Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls-3

1 tbsp oil
all of the tangzhong
Filling
3 tbsp coconut oil or butter, melted
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon

In a large microwave safe bowl, mix the ingredients for the tangzhong together until lump free. Microwave in 30 second intervals, whisking after each one until the mixture is glossy and thick.

Make a well in the middle of the tangzhong mixture and add in the warm water / milk. Sprinkle the yeast over the pool of liquid, being careful not to get any onto the tangzhong. Whisk the well until all the yeast is dissolved.

Add in the sugar, salt, whole wheat flour, and oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise overnight.

On a floured surface, take out the dough and roll into a large rectangle. Spread on the coconut oil / butter and sprinkle on the brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll from the long end and cut into 12 pieces.

Place on a baking pan and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for ~1-2 hours or until almost doubled in size.

Bake at 375 F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

1. Megan @Meg is Well on

April 11, 2016 at 7:24 pm says

I love cinnamon rolls in all forms but it is nice to have ones that don’t leave you feeling like you’re going to faint mid-day. These look like they’d get me through the day nicely.

July 15, 2016 at 7:00 pm says

Yes they definitely will!

2. Hira on

April 11, 2016 at 8:22 pm says

I’m not going to lie, I LOVE Cinnabon. I’ve made homemade cinnamon rolls, but nothing beats a humongous warm saccharine cinnamon roll, right? I’m glad I don’t live near a Cinnabon store, or I would be 1000 pounds heavier, haha. I will have to give these a try and let you know how they compare! :)

July 15, 2016 at 7:01 pm says

Hhahaaaaa they won’t compare though Hira! They don’t have glaze -they have the minimal amount of sugar possible 😀

3. Aria on

April 12, 2016 at 4:22 pm says

OOH THESE LOOK SO GOOD! I love cinnamon rolls and I’ve only made them once! My mom always used to buy the Immaculate Baking ones in the refrigerator section of the store and bake them up on Sunday mornings. When I made my first ones, they were sooo good! I think I need to try your recipe!

July 15, 2016 at 7:01 pm says

Thank you so much Aria! You definitely do!

4. Angela on

April 12, 2016 at 6:07 pm says

Hi, I have a question; I don’t have any wheat flour but is it possible to substitute it for all-purpose in the bread? Should I need to add more/less or the same amount?
    Also, I have noticed that many recipes calling for cinnamon use very little in comparison to dough. Is cinnamon very strong?
    I am starting out in baking and your blog is very helpful. Thank you!

April 12, 2016 at 6:36 pm says

Yes, it’s totally possible to substitute all purpose flour for whole wheat -I would add about 1/4 cup more all purpose flour as whole wheat flour is more absorbent. Regarding cinnamon, I don’t know why but I tend to use a lot of it even though it is very strong, I guess I have grown too used to it? If you’re not sure if you like it, you probably should reduce the amount to ~1.5-2 tsp but I really LOVE cinnamon 😉
      I’m so glad my blog is of use to you -it’s so wonderful to hear from people who are reading it and enjoying it! Visit often 😀

5. Josefine @ Sprouted Fig on

April 13, 2016 at 1:15 am says

I feel the exact same way about cinnamon rolls. They should be well, roll-like and cloud-like and healthier 😀 Love these!

July 15, 2016 at 7:02 pm says

Hhahaaa yes, thank you Josefine!

6. ZazaCook on

April 14, 2016 at 9:09 am says

My daughter is a fan of cinnamon rolls. Yours are so perfect and sound absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe:)

July 15, 2016 at 7:02 pm says

Thank you!

7. Michelle Fan on

April 20, 2016 at 7:35 pm says

Hiii! I found your blog recently and I just wanted to say I’m obsessed with you. We have so much in common–high schoolers, bakers, and coders (currently looking into transitioning out of Blogger and designing my own site!) Your photos are so beautiful and your recipes are hella creative/adorable (so many Asian flavors!!) In short, this is a love letter to you–please be my friend <3

PS these rolls are exactly what I need right now. I bake a lot of whole wheat bread, and I've wanted to try using Tangzhong to make it for quite a while… maybe my next weekend project?

July 15, 2016 at 7:03 pm says

Thank you so much Michelle! Send an email if you have any coding problems 😉

8. monika on

May 23, 2016 at 8:21 am says

How do you do the first part if you don’t own a microwave? Thanks!

9. Bethany @ athletic avocado on

May 23, 2016 at 12:48 pm says

These cinnamon rolls look like perfection! I can’t believe that they are vegan and easy to make!

July 15, 2016 at 7:03 pm says

Thank you Bethany!

10. Erika on

July 29, 2016 at 11:26 pm says

Made these cinnamon rolls last month. The recipe is great! I still can’t believe I made delicious cinnamon rolls 😮 Love your recipes and your site!

August 2, 2016 at 8:34 am says

Yayyyyy! Thanks so much Erika!