No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread-6

No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread

January 24, 2016 | 89 comments

There are days that I want to knead to my heart’s content -for the dough to form a thin windowpane that could substitute for glass. This weekend did not contain any of those days. It was more of a throw stuff into a bowl and hope something good comes out weekend.

My family has always been fans of soft, fluffy bread -the kind that you can dig a hole in and sleep without any problem. For me, that kind has always been the harder kind because I can bake out a brick no problemo! (no offense crusty breads) But for reals, my family, we all hold grudges against crusty breads for one reason or another. Mostly because the outside is really hard (and I’ve baked those ‘great’ ones where the golden crust sings with glory as you pull it out) but after a few hours, it’s really easy to hit someone over the head with it and knock them out (not literately btws… but it would probably work -if any of you guys try it, don’t tell me about it and please don’t tell anyone you got the idea from me).

No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread-14

No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread

No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread-2

No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread-17

No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread-18

The crusty breads are usually the ones that get the ‘mix and refrigerate’ treatment and for a practical reason too. The combination of the lack of intensive kneading with the long cold fermentation develops the gluten structure so that irregular holes are speckled all around. This really is unfavorable in a soft snacky-type of bread in which the crumb is supposed to be super even and shreddable.

But I really didn’t feel like kneading and spending the night in the kitchen with the scale.

No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread-15

No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread-16

No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread-3

No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread-8

No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread-7

So instead of kneading, I stuck the enriched, soft, milky dough into the refrigerator overnight to let the fragrant layers of flavor to develop and in the morning, I pulled out the puffy, stiff dough out and split it into three pieces. Then, instead of shaping it into a roll once, I did it twice to ensure the even crumb and shreddability. After the dough had risen, I stuck it into the oven where it promptly grew to twice its size again and touched the heating grates. This lead to a bunch of annoyances that you’d probably be better off not knowing. 😉

Anyhow, this loaf ended up 200% better than what I had expected. So fluffy, milky, and flavorful. If you can cut into this hokkaido milk bread’s cold dark heart without a problem and then toast it perfectly, you have done something horribly, horribly wrong. I even had trouble pulling the smaller loaves apart without squishing them because this bread is so dreamily fluffy.

No Knead Hokkaido Milk Bread-4

2 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg
all of the tangzhong
Egg wash
1 egg

In a saucepan, mix the ingredients for the tangzhong over medium heat until the mixture is at a pudding-like consistency, stirring constantly. Take off the stove and whisk periodically until cooled. Alternatively, you may put it in a bowl, place plastic wrap over it, and stick it in the refrigerator.

For the bread, combine the milk, sweetened condensed milk, and yeast together. Whisk until the yeast dissolves.

Mix in the rest of the ingredients. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours.

On a floured surface, split the dough into 3 equally sized portions. Roll one into a long rectangle-ish shape and then roll it up from the short end. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Take it and roll it into a rectangle again and roll it up from the short end. Place in a 9 by 5 bread pan.

Repeat with the other 3 pieces of dough.

Let the bread rise for 1.5 - 2 hours, or until roughly doubled.

Preheat the oven to 425 F.

Whisk the egg for the egg wash and brush it onto the bread. Bake for 10 minutes.

Lower the oven temperature to 350 F and bake for 30 minutes. You may need to cover the loaf with aluminum foil to prevent it from getting too dark.

Let the bread cool before eating (or not... :P)

1. Hira on

January 25, 2016 at 12:24 am says

This looks AMAZING! But I have to admit, I am a huge fan of crusty breads. I’ve never been a fan of pull apart bread. I also love crunchy cookies, unlike most people’s love for soft chewy ones. I’m weird, haha. :)

January 31, 2016 at 8:17 pm says

What?! Well, people are different 😛
      Thanks Hira!

2. Benny&Bula on

January 26, 2016 at 8:55 am says

Beautiful!!!
    We’ll surely try this recipe…can already imagine us having some of that heavenly soft bread for breakfast *.*
    Anyway, we don’t think we’ll try to slice it: we’d rather eat a whole roll at a time…they are so yummy! :)

January 31, 2016 at 8:44 pm says

Hahhaa yes it’s absolutely wonderful for breakfast and I normally would say a roll is quite a large serving but it’s so full of air it’s like 1/3 of what it looks like so do it!!! 😛

3. Jasmin on

January 28, 2016 at 4:54 am says

What a fluffy looking bread, I didn’t have this kind of bread for ages, maybe it will find its way to my refrigerator one of these days :)
    btw. that graptopetalum plant is one of my favorite succulents …

January 31, 2016 at 8:45 pm says

Oh is that what it’s called? I’ve just been calling it my little succulent for the longest time (also: the highly photogenic plant) 😛
      Thank you Jasmin!

4. Elisa on

February 7, 2016 at 5:44 pm says

I was so intrigued by the idea of getting around hours of kneading and your mouthwatering photos (of course!), I had to try it immediately. But I am no pro when it comes to bread making and I have to admit it had some difficulties with it. The dough was so moist and sticky that I couldn’t handle and fold it properly. It rose like crazy and the bread had a very distinct yeasty taste, so maybe there are some differences between the German and American dry yeasts and/or flours? And my bread was much more yellow than yours, maybe that has something to do with the egg? Do you have any suggestions what I can do better in a second try? I’d love to achieve something close to your shooting star of a milk bread.

February 7, 2016 at 7:32 pm says

Oh I’m so sorry you didn’t have success with it! I’m guessing when you talk about ‘folding,’ you mean the shaping part. It helps to work with it RIGHT after it comes out of the refrigerator (that way the dough is pretty stiff). As for the yeasty taste, if you left it in the refrigerator for 24 hours, reduce it to 12 hours and/or use 1-1 1/2 tsp yeast instead. Also, you could decrease the final rising time (my kitchen is pretty cold so it took that long for me).
      I hope you have better luck next time -it’s really such a great bread! 😉
      P.S. I don’t know why it was more yellow -probably the difference in flours but I doubt that would make a difference unless you’re using flour with a very low gluten content.

5. kay on

February 8, 2016 at 10:51 pm says

Hi, just made this recipe and it was everything I’d hoped it would be, and more!
    Just curious, what is the purpose of the tangzhong?
    Thank you a million times for the best recipe!!

February 15, 2016 at 8:49 am says

I’m so glad you liked it! The tangzhong makes + keeps the bread soft and fluffy. The scientific explanation behind it is basically the same everywhere on the internet but it seems kinda dubious to me so I’ll let you search that up 😉
      You’re welcome! 😀

6. Abby on

February 28, 2016 at 1:35 pm says

This looks amazing! What kind of yeast did you use?

February 28, 2016 at 7:15 pm says

I used active dry yeast. 😉

7. T on

March 23, 2016 at 11:02 am says

So funny my dad loves crusty bread with lots of big sturdy bubbles so my mom and I have been trying for ages to successfully make a crusty bread to no avail, with some being obvious lovers like challah and potato bread but others just inexplicably soft. I personally love soft slightly sweet bread though so I make challah quite often

April 12, 2016 at 6:43 pm says

Hahahaaa so many people have different preferences -I do have to admit, there is something amazing about a crackly brown bread impeccably specked with large irregular holes. But I have always preferred soft, cloudy bread 😛 I do believe I will have to do a recipe on a crusty bread soon though!

8. Mari on

March 23, 2016 at 3:50 pm says

What flour did you use? All-purpose, bread flour, or self-rising?

March 23, 2016 at 5:17 pm says

I used bread flour but I don’t think it would make much difference if you used all-purpose. Definitely NOT self-rising though.

9. Roller scrapper on

March 24, 2016 at 3:27 pm says

did you mix this by hand and is the butter just softened or melted? If you used a mixer did you use a dough hook?
    Thanks

March 24, 2016 at 3:59 pm says

I mixed this by hand and the butter was melted 😉

10. Roller scrapper on

March 24, 2016 at 8:22 pm says

Thank you! I’m hoping to make this for Easter.

April 12, 2016 at 7:01 pm says

No problem! 😀

11. Samantha on

March 25, 2016 at 7:59 am says

Hi! Super excited to try this out this weekend :) What kind of flour did you use?

April 12, 2016 at 7:04 pm says

Omg I’m so sorry -I just saw this question! I used bread flour but all purpose flour will also work!

12. Kandiboo on

March 25, 2016 at 9:38 am says

Question: 1 tsp salt x 2? 2tsp total or meant for another ingredient?
    My dough is in the fridge, hope it will turn out okay.

March 25, 2016 at 2:59 pm says

Oh I didn’t notice that -I’m so sorry! I used 1 tsp of salt but besides a slightly saltier bread, it shouldn’t really affect anything else so you should be fine!
      Thank you for pointing out the mistake!

13. Francis on

March 25, 2016 at 12:29 pm says

i grew up in Korea and this is the only kind of sliced bread you find in the bakeries! ive been missing it a lot. i just stuck it in the oven but missed your comment about the butter being melted… mine was softened but hopefully it will be ok! one question though…. my dough was very sticky. is it supposed to be like that? i had to dump on a lot of flour on the board/dough so it wouldnt stick to the rolling pin when I was rolling it out. 27 mins left — ee!! hope it comes out nicely :)

March 25, 2016 at 3:02 pm says

Ohhh do tell how it comes out! The dough is pretty sticky but it helps if you work with it right after it comes out of the refrigerator because at that time it’s colder and stiffer. Softened butter should also be okay, I just always use melted because it’s easier to mix into the dough.

14. Claire on

March 25, 2016 at 12:54 pm says

I saw this recipe on a buzzfeed page and I had to make it! Sadly I don’t think I put enough yeast in it and I don’t think I made the tangzhong right. I still have yet to put it in the oven, it’s rising now but I’m just proud I was able to even make the dough

April 12, 2016 at 7:05 pm says

Yayaya!!! It’ll probably be fine -the bread is quite flexible! I do hope it turned out okay 😉

15. Roller scrapper on

March 25, 2016 at 8:19 pm says

I just finished baking and tried this bread, amazing! Thank you again! Now that I’ve done a test loaf I’m confident I can make this again and again. One local bakery here makes it with chocolate chips so I’m going to try that next! Also I noticed that 1 tsp salt was listed twice in the recipe. I only put it in once. The dough was quite sticky coming out of the fridge but I used a silicone spatula and really heavily floured my surface, much more heavily than I would with say, cut out cookies. That helped a lot with the rolling and “folding” :)

April 12, 2016 at 7:07 pm says

Yay!!! I’m so glad you liked it! I don’t know, so many people have said that they had to use really heavily floured surfaces and it’s making me nervous. It might be time to retest the recipe… However, I am so happy that it worked out for you! I can’t wait to see what additions you come up with 😉

16. erika on

March 25, 2016 at 9:41 pm says

OMG I did it! It turned out awesome. I’m a newbie in bread baking so I’m so happy! Feels so good to make fresh bread. Loved your recipe!
    Next time I’ll try the chocolate babka :)

April 12, 2016 at 7:08 pm says

YAY!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
      Making bread is the most wondrous feeling 😉 and the babka will not disappoint 😀

• Erika on

July 29, 2016 at 11:20 pm says

The babka is in the oven right now. Keeping my fingers crossed 😁

August 2, 2016 at 8:33 am says

Yay! How’d it turn out?

• erika on

August 7, 2016 at 5:32 pm says

It turned out great!! It was delicious, one of the loaves had more chocolate filling than the other, but both of them were delicious. I am sooo happyyy :) I’ve already tried 3 of your recipes and they’re great! I’m a fan! Next time I’ll make the doughnuts (I have a thing for no knead recipes ha ha)

17. Mel on

March 28, 2016 at 4:22 pm says

Hi there,
    Your bread looks AMAZING! I just wanted to ask if it’s alright to skip the sweetened condensed milk? I live alone and to buy a whole can of it just for one recipe is a bit of a waste for me . I will probably just throw it out after a single use :(

On a side note- it’s freaking awesome to have finally got a no knead TZ bread recipe!😍

March 28, 2016 at 5:50 pm says

Yes, it’s perfectly fine. However, it will not be as “milky”
      Yay I’m so glad you like it! No knead tangzhong bread is awesome 😉

18. Kimbo on

March 31, 2016 at 7:03 pm says

I was happy when I saw this recipe. I love milk bread! I just finished mixing it together and putting it in the fridge. I have to say, it is probably the stickiest dough I have ever worked with. When I’m ready to roll it out, would it be OK to do this on a floured surface? I’m just worried about it sticking.

April 1, 2016 at 4:34 pm says

Hey Kimbo! Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it’s fine to do it on a floured surface -just try not to incorporate too much flour into the dough while shaping or else the resulting bread may be too dry and dense. Good luck!

19. Matthew on

April 2, 2016 at 8:51 pm says

Made this last weekend. Turned out just like the pictures, and was super soft and delicious. I had to cut it with a fillet knife because to was so soft!

July 24, 2016 at 9:58 pm says

Yayy!!!! That’s great 😉 At least we know now you did nothing wrong 😀

20. Xiang Yi on

April 15, 2016 at 7:16 am says

Just made Chelsea and cinnamon buns using your recipe – EXCELLENT results! Like little warm pillows of spicy, sugar heaven! My husband has an egg allergy, so I simply left out the egg and added a tad more condensed milk to compensate. I wish I could attach a pic as they looked so pretty! Your recipe really rises well and the lack of kneading appeals to the lazy-baker in me… Many thanks!

21. Franca on

June 2, 2016 at 7:57 am says

Hello! When do you put tangzhong in the bread dough? When you combine all the rest of the ingredients? Thanks!

June 14, 2016 at 5:38 am says

Yes put it in with the rest of the ingredients 😀

22. Marcella on

June 21, 2016 at 2:33 am says

Made this today and it really made my day. Thanks for the recipe! I think I folded the bread incorrectly, but the bread turned out great! :) Will definitely check your other recipes :)

July 24, 2016 at 9:58 pm says

Yay! It’s really pretty much foolproof 😛

23. Casey on

July 24, 2016 at 4:34 am says

Hi there! I have a few questions if you don’t mind…

Is it possible to substitute the milk with fresh cream? (Our milk here is pretty bland and I was wondering if I could get a better creamy taste by using fresh cream instead)

You mention long, cold fermentation in the refrigerator but wouldn’t that deactivate the yeast? My fridge is around 5.6 degrees celsius, I’m not sure if that’s too cold?

It’s about 12-16 degrees Celsius in my house these days in winter, how cold does it get in your kitchen? Just so I have an idea if the ambient temperature plays a part in how long I let the dough do its second rise.

Thanks!

July 24, 2016 at 9:49 pm says

Hi Casey! It would, but I would skip out on the butter then and I can’t guarantee on a better taste (I rarely have cream in my fridge). If you don’t want to skip the butter, I would suggest increasing the yeast to 2 1/2-3 tsp because fat tends to impede yeast from doing its thing. Actually, that’s warmer than mine -I’m pretty sure mine is set at like 4 C or lower. It should be fine, you just might want to take it out of the refrigerator sooner because it could develop more of a yeasty alcoholic taste. Yeast is an amazing organism that doesn’t die or stop as easily as we think it does -it actually continues to grow and do its yeasty thing in the refrigerator, just slower. When I made this, it was in the winter and so it was probably at most 20C in our house. Yours will be fine 😉
      Good luck and I hope it turns out well for you!

24. sandy on

August 5, 2016 at 8:34 am says

When I measure flour by the cup I normally fluff up the flour first and with a big table spoon sprinkle flour into the 1 cup and by weight one level cup is about 119 grams. When I measure a cup with fluffed up flour and then tap, tap the handle the flour sinks a bit in the 1 cup measuring container and I can get more flour in the cup up to about 125 grams. If I don’t fluff up the flour at all and use the dip and shake method 1 cup weighs about 135 grams. I am an experienced no knead bread maker and for regular bread with instant yeast or with sourdough starter I always use grams because of the wide variation in measures by cup. With other no knead recipes after mixing I expect the dough to ‘pull away’ from the sides of the bowl and form a sticky mass after about 2 to 3 minutes of mixing. When I first made this sweet no knead recipe using measuring by cup the dough was so sticky and did not at all pull away from the sides of the bowl. I expect that it needed more flour and my measure of a cup was very different from yours. I suspect the way you measure a cup may actually weight between 135 and 155 grams. Also there is such a weight difference between the size of eggs (small to jumbo) which gives more variation to the consistency. If you ever re-check this recipe I would love to see it in grams of weight of flour and liquids.

August 5, 2016 at 8:54 am says

Hi Sandy,

I know your concerns all too well -it is frustrating with cups. I perhaps should have no excuse for not putting it in both besides the fact that at the time I tested this, my scale was broken. In addition, I live in the US where most people don’t even have a scale so I figured it was excusable for the time being 😛 I never really expected so many people to try it.

Okay, I’m done with my excuses. I will try to make this again before the summer is out 😀

Also, the dough is supposed to be sticky but maybe not as sticky as you’re describing it 😉

Thanks for the feedback Sandy!

25. sandy on

August 5, 2016 at 8:51 am says

Another suggestion .. a photo of what your dough looks like immediately after mixing in the bow. To see if it pulls away from the sides of the bowl after a short mix or is it spread out still over the sides. Thanks for trying a no knead version. I’ve make your exact recipe but to get the dough to pull from the sides of the bowl at the first mix.. I added more flour till it pulled away (mostly). Looking forward to seeing how this turn out. Appreciate!

August 5, 2016 at 8:56 am says

Okay I’ll definitely try to do that next time 😉 That sounds about right -out of curiosity, how much more flour did you add?

Thanks for trying it and offering advice! I really appreciate it 😀 Also, be sure to tell how the bread turns out!

26. sandy on

August 5, 2016 at 1:53 pm says

Hi, Thanks for your thoughts. I added about a 1.5 cups more flour to get it to the consistency where with 2 min of mixing the dough just begins to pull away from the side of the bowl but is still ‘shaggy’ as they say in no knead bread lingo. I was measuring using fluffed up flour placing the flour in the 1 measuring cup with a large spoon. Also I used a large egg which is about 55 grams of liquid. A medium egg can be as little as 30 grams of liquid… which is so much less moisture – affecting dough consistency/stickiness. FYI.. some no knead methods include a series of stretch and folds at 30 min intervals after mixing for the first few hours to better develop gluten strands… then into the frig to retard the dough overnight. I’m really looking forward to getting the flour and liquid ratios right. Probably will be between a 65% and 75% hydration dough. Thanks for you time.

27. sandy on

August 5, 2016 at 2:07 pm says

Another thought.. when I do other no knead bread recipes… with egg and oil or other wet ingredients… and use grams weight, I usually do the wet measurement by zeroing the scale, first adding the egg, (and/or oil, sweetened condensed milk, etc)… then adding the water or milk just until I reach the exact needed gram weight. This then takes into consideration the variation in the size/weight of the egg(s). Hence the final water or milk amount will vary depending on the gram weight of the egg(s) to keep to the needed overall liquid grams needed. Shooting for a 70% or 75% hydration with some recipes. This is so different from making a cake where it hardly makes a difference if you put in 3 or 4 eggs (size varies). All the best.

August 5, 2016 at 2:16 pm says

Hey Sandy,

I’m sorry this is proving to be such a problem for you. But this precision for this bread isn’t really that necessary -it was designed as more of a “throw it all into a bowl and forget for a night” bread because it’s supposed to be easy and not fussy.

I guess just as in science, we make recipes so they can be replicated but there are too many factors that one cannot control easily -temperature, oven behavior, etc. You’re obviously a very careful baker (and I admire that really!) but I’m not so careful. I do as I say, throw it together and forget about it. So I’ll put on the weights to make it more easily accessible for Europeans (and the rest of the world except for Americans) but I can’t guarantee I’ll do much else i.e. calculate they hydration. If you want to have a more technical approach, The Fresh Loaf is a better website than mine.

Again, I’m very sorry for all the confusion (out of simplicity :P) and I really hope that it turns out well for you!

28. sandy on

August 5, 2016 at 2:53 pm says

I totally understand. I guess for me the bottom line is… one question. Right after mixing the first time what is your consistency like? Pulls away from the bowl? If that is what it is for you.. great. I can judge the flour for that. Thanks so much. All the best.

August 5, 2016 at 3:15 pm says

Yep, that’s the consistency. I didn’t stir it very much though so less flour might’ve gotten Incorporated 😉

29. sandy on

August 5, 2016 at 4:42 pm says

excellent thanks so much

30. sandy on

August 6, 2016 at 8:47 am says

thank you…. came out great . Other than more flour in the original mix (till the dough started to come away from the sides of the bowl) the only other change I made was I rolled the cold dough on a very lightly canola oiled counter top (to avoid incorporating more flour). I’m planning to make these again in tiny rolls for a brunch. Great job!

31. Kelly Jeon on

September 5, 2016 at 2:54 am says

I was excited to try the recipe. The dough was so soft that I can hardly shape or fold it. Probably its the way i measured the flour. I think it could be nice if you could add approx weight of flour to the recipe. However, I made rolls with this recipe, baked it this morning and it turned out great!! (Even with an old convection oven) Thank you^^~

September 5, 2016 at 9:41 am says

Oh I’m so sorry! I just made this a week ago but haven’t found the time to put it online yet.
      I’m so glad they turned out ok though 😉 Thanks for the feedback!

32. Enni on

October 2, 2016 at 7:17 am says

just took this out of the oven it did yield a very soft bread. but i think mine turned too soft and i had a problem taking it out in one piece (stuck in one place too). mine turned out a bit salty, so will reduce the salt next time. thanks for this recipe. i enjoyed not having to knead 😀

October 2, 2016 at 6:04 pm says

Awww I’m sorry! Maybe oil or line your pan with parchment paper next time 😉 I’m glad you enjoyed the process though!

33. Ming on

October 12, 2016 at 12:49 am says

Hi, will the recipe still work if I omit the butter?

October 12, 2016 at 6:15 pm says

Hi Ming, the recipe might work, but I wouldn’t suggest it. I’ve never tried it so I don’t really know. However, if you want to omit the butter because it isn’t available, you can try substituting in oil except I haven’t tried that either so I really can’t give you any confirmed results. 😉

• Ming on

October 12, 2016 at 6:39 pm says

I see… Thank you for your reply! Was thinking of omitting butter to cut down fat haha since there is already fat from milk 😅 Guess I’ll stick to the recipe! Thanks again!

34. Linda on

October 20, 2016 at 10:18 am says

Hey there, it seems to be a great recipe and I am intrigued. But before trying, may I ask what kind of yeast you used in this recipe, instant or active fry yeast? And I saw some comments saying that the dough is too soft and sticky to work with. If that’s the case, should I need it longer or add more flour and how much should I add before it changes the taste and texture? Thanks in advance!

October 20, 2016 at 7:23 pm says

Hi Linda,
      I used active dry yeast. Yep, people have been finding it to be a bit dry but I remade it and it seemed ok if you didn’t stir it too much. However, you can probably add up to a 1/2 cup in excess but I would use the recipe amounts so that way you can use more flour when shaping without risk of the dough getting too dry.
      Hope that helps!

• Linda on

October 21, 2016 at 5:50 am says

Thanks a lot. I didn’t expect to see a reply so soon. Keep up the good work!

December 10, 2016 at 12:12 am says

Yayayaaa!!! At least my laziness did something lol 😛
      That loaf looks wonderful! Good job!

35. Rumbling Belly on

January 23, 2017 at 3:55 pm says

Question! I just made it and while it turned out soft it wasn’t as fluffy as your photos, but that was totally on me.. I put it in a way smaller pan and overproofed it (I blame the gym..) 3rd times the charm! Okay, so the question: when you say to pin roll it out into a rectangle then roll it up, let it rest 5 min then roll it out again.. Which directions am I rolling it out in the second time? I think I did the opposite as the first time and may have messed up the layers.. Help help! Gracias!

January 24, 2017 at 6:33 pm says

The opposite way from the first time! I hope that clarifies things, but really it doesn’t matter much. If you want it to be more fluffy, I suggest you not overproof it (even though it’s good you went to the gym!).
      Hope that helped and good luck!

36. L. on

March 2, 2017 at 6:19 am says

Thank you for your recipe. I made this yesterday evening and leave the dough in the room temperature for an hour to make sure that the yeast was activate. I leave the dough in the fridge for about 10 hours and at the room temperature for another two hours. Even though I did not proof the dough 24 hours but the bread come out fluffy and soft. I reduced the condense milk by half and the sweetness is enough for me.

37. Donna on

March 11, 2017 at 2:53 pm says

Have made this bread before. And I must say,it is fanomible. Would like a option for the condensed milk. Hate using such a small amount and throwing out the rest. Any suggestion?

March 14, 2017 at 12:23 am says

Hi Donna! You should be able to replace it with 1.5 tbsp of sugar but the bread won’t be as milky.

38. Aly K. on

March 16, 2017 at 8:05 am says

Hi. Do I leave the bread in the oven when I lower the temperature from 425 to 350? Or do I take the bread out until the oven temperature reaches 350?

March 21, 2017 at 9:44 pm says

Leave the bread in the oven, DO NOT take it out! I don’t actually know what will happen if you *do* take it out, but whatever it is, it can’t be good 😛

39. Aly K. on

March 16, 2017 at 8:10 am says

By the way,where are you located? I’m in Hawaii and I don’t know if that makes a difference. I’m a new, inexperienced baker and all of the bread recipes that require kneading that I’ve tried haven’t turning out as I hoped. All of my bread comes out really dense…but tastes good.😳I’m hoping your recipe works for me!

March 21, 2017 at 9:49 pm says

Indiana! The weather here is really unpredictable and it could be 21C here during January and -10C in March 😛 I would assume in Hawaii since it’s warm there that the bread would rise faster. (Unless you live at a low altitude, then maybe that would explain things). I guess be careful not to over rise your bread (you can tell if your bread is huge and gorgeous going in but deflated and dead coming out of the oven)