Pecan Pie Cups --caramel, pecan-11

Chocolate Pecan Pie Cups w/ Date Caramel + Pecan Butter {vegan, gluten free}

September 27, 2015 | 21 comments

Yayyyyy autumn is here! The leaves are turning gorgeous shades of a bright sunset against a blue sky filled with soft picturesque clouds. This also means I can eat copious amounts of pie without feeling bad about it. However, then the problem becomes the fact that we never have pie at my house.

It’s annoying to say the least.

Pecan Pie Cups --caramel, pecan

Pecan Pie Cups --caramel, pecan-2
Pecan Pie Cups --caramel, pecan-10

Pecan Pie Cups --caramel, pecan-13

I’ve always felt that a full sized pie is a finicky little thing. My crust always ends up falling apart, the filling always tends to be too tart, and don’t even get me started on how the innocent crispy apples turn stupidly mushy. Sure this can all be solved by making cute little hand pies without apples, but please. Also the main problem (besides my own impending laziness for assembling 3 parts and baking it), is the fact that there’s only 4 people in my household. Sure, we eat a slice there, a slice here, but there’s no way in the whole wide world that we end up consuming one entire pie.

Alas, my pie baking addiction has to wait until holidays where people need pies, where there’s a whole crowd of people, and where I can show off my lack of full sized pie baking skills.

Pecan Pie Cups --caramel, pecan-3
Pecan Pie Cups --caramel, pecan-4

Pecan Pie Cups --caramel, pecan-14

The only good side effect of this are these adorable pecan pie cups. They’re pretty healthy {dark chocolate + date caramel with only dates + pecan butter of only pecans}. The simple three ingredients that they have makes them taste like the best pecan pie in the world -pinky swear. Also, they won’t make you die of a sugar high (or your siblings bounce off the walls like balls), but are nutty, lightly sweetened, with a touch of bitterness.

// You don’t have to toast the pecans if you don’t want to, but I enjoy their extra nuttiness.
// If you wish / add too much water, you may cook the date caramel over the stove to caramelize it a bit, but I found it unnecessary.
// I like using dark chocolate, but you can basically use any kind you want. If the chocolate isn’t smooth enough to spread, stir in a bit of coconut oil to thin it out.
// I used cupcake liners because I didn’t feel like ordering real candy liners online, but you can buy those off of of an online store like amazon and use them instead.

Chocolate Pecan Pie Cups w/ Date Caramel + Pecan Butter {vegan, gluten free}
1/2 cup chocolate
1/3 cup dates, pitted
1/2 cup pecans

Line a mini cupcake pan with liners.

Melt the chocolates and spread it over the mini cupcake liners. Place it in the refrigerator.

Meanwhile, roast the pecans and place them in a food processor. Chop them until they become a paste. Scoop that into another bowl, wash the food processor bowl, and place in the dates. Pulse until that becomes a smooth paste -you might have to add in a few tablespoons of water.

Take the chocolate out (make sure it's solidified) and spread in about 1/4 tsp of the date caramel. Add on top about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of the pecan butter. Top with melted chocolate (so that none of the pecan butter is showing through) and refrigerate until the chocolate is solidified.

1. Kristin | Tasty Joy on

September 27, 2015 at 2:35 pm says

I CANNOT wait to try this! Pecan pie is my absolute favorite, but the amount of sugar in it prevents me from indulging as often as I want. Though still sugary, dates have that nice fiber to slow down their action, and also vitamins and minerals :-) This looks fantastic!

September 27, 2015 at 5:10 pm says

Hhahaaa this is definitely a better alternative 😉 Do tell me how they turn out when you make them!

September 28, 2015 at 1:22 am says

Anne, what a wonderful idea! I love pie too, but like you, I can’t possibly consume an entire pie before it goes bad or I get tired of eating over and over :p The idea of doing little cups is superb. I also love that this has simple, few ingredients – it allows the flavors to truly shine. Lovely!

October 4, 2015 at 10:24 pm says

Thank you Beeta! I totally agree that all the flavors really stand out in this recipe and it’s absolutely wonderful! 😉

3. Remya @ Forks N Knives on

September 28, 2015 at 12:13 pm says

Double yayy for Autumn!! What a lovely idea and am very sure these will be finished off at one go at my place. lovely blog Anne…:)

October 4, 2015 at 10:25 pm says

Thans Remya! 😀

4. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry on

September 29, 2015 at 11:15 am says

Living in a household of two people, baking a whole pie never goes well because I end up eating half it. I love how you jammed a pecan pie into mini cups with dark chocolate.

October 4, 2015 at 10:25 pm says

Hhahaaaaa pie is good, but pie with chocolate? Definitely 😛

5. Hotly Spiced on

September 29, 2015 at 7:52 pm says

What beautiful little pies. Incredible how there’s only three ingredients. I would love to try these. Beautiful images! xx

October 4, 2015 at 10:25 pm says

Thanks!

October 2, 2015 at 12:05 pm says

J’adore l’automne et je l’aime encore plus avec un dessert comme le tienne, un tasse de thé bien chaud et un bon livre! C’est juste irrésistible!

October 4, 2015 at 10:28 pm says

Merci Eva! Je voudrais lire un bon livre mais hélas je n’ai pas de temps!

7. Meagan @ The F&B Department on

October 4, 2015 at 10:44 am says

These are so cute and sound absolutely amazing! And screw buying candy liners. I always use mini cupcake liners and no one has complained yet!

October 4, 2015 at 10:29 pm says

Hahhaaaa yesss I agree. Who wants to buy them, wait, wait some more, and then finally realize they’re not that different? Thank you so much Meagan!

8. Lucia @ The Foodwright on

October 13, 2015 at 7:41 pm says

Oh my gosh, these look like an absolute dream!! YUM. Love love love.

October 30, 2015 at 9:57 am says

Thank you Lucia! :)

9. Teffy @ Teffy's Perks on

November 9, 2015 at 8:27 am says

Those look aaah-mazing! I’ve always loved pecan pies, and I’m sure I’ll love those!

It’s the same in my household, except we’re even smaller with only 2 of us. That means that whenever I plan to make something big, like a whole cake, I need to plan where all the leftover is going to end up! X

November 20, 2015 at 8:26 pm says

Thank you! Yes, leftovers are definitely a problem with cake, etc. I usually force it on my friends because there’s no way we can eat so much dessert 😛

10. Coley | ColeyCooks.com on

November 9, 2015 at 11:30 am says

I’ve always loved pecan pie, but it can be so cloying and I feel like I instantly gained 20 lbs after eating it. I love this lighter, healthier version thanks to the dates. Also, chocolate. How can you go wrong with that??

November 20, 2015 at 8:28 pm says

Nobody! Chocolate is the BEST (especially with sides of stress and projects). Thanks Coley 😀