Lemon ginger muesli

Lemon Ginger Muesli {gluten free, vegan}

August 23, 2015 | 17 comments

I think one of my favorite things is a blank page. They’re filled with unseen imperfections but are still as inviting as clean, untouched snow. And that, my dear friends, is why I always look forward to the beginning of school. To me, being the high schooler that I am, they symbolize a new start more than any new year. The downsides to filling this invitingly barren canvas is obvious.

As you’ve probably guessed by now, school has already started in the middle of sunny August. It barely seems like the teachers are ready -either that or they’re just taking it easy on us for the first few days. I’m not buried under projects quite yet, but more personal goals; joining more clubs, perhaps being a bit more ambitious and outgoing compared to last year.

Lemon Ginger Muesli-2

Lemon Ginger Muesli-4

Lemon Ginger Muesli-10

But as you can imagine, school calls for getting up really early which no one likes to do. Especially when the sun is still resting its blazing little head (ok, not so little) on the other side of the planet but your alarm clock insists that you get out of bed. For me to actually roll out of my bed in the morning without clicking the snooze button 10 times and ending up late to school, I always need a little motivation.

Even though muesli is basically just raw oats soaked in milk with some fruit, it is amazing. Something about refrigerator cold milk with softened oats just does it for me. And ofc, I add fruit -lots and lots of fruit. A shredded apple becomes submerged in milk along with dried fruit the night before. It’s the beauty and simplicity that makes this breakfast so flawless.

The reminiscent crunchiness of the apple and the plump soaked dried fruit with the light, nearly melt in your mouth oats makes this irresistible. It makes me get out of bed and not hungry until nearly lunch time (and our lunch is pretty late considering we spend the whole morning climbing up and down stairs… but we do have a long time to eat). Healthy, fruity, and light. What else do you need for breakfast? (although, a croissant or two would def be delicious)

Lemon Ginger Muesli-6

Lemon Ginger Muesli-11

Lemon Ginger Muesli-3

This muesli is super customizable and you most certainly don’t have to use lemon and ginger if you don’t feel like it. This recipe also uses toasted flax for a little bit of healthy oils and a wonderful je ne sais quoi. Although, funny story… I could only find whole flax seeds in the pantry so I decided to toast them before sticking them in the food processor. Baaaaaaaad idea. Don’t ever try it. Apparently, whole flax seeds will behave like popcorn in a hot pan. Except they’re smaller and x100 harder to clean up. Long story short, they ended up jumping everywhere and half the flax seeds ended up on the floor and in the little crevices of the kitchen instead of in my breakfast bowl. Which needless to say, amused me 50% and annoyed me by 50%. Lesson learned.

Basically, this the complete opposite of those croissant dough recipes that I’ve been hailing down on you guys. All you have to do is mix a few ingredients together (most of which you can omit if you don’t have it/them) and the night before, just stuff everything into a jar, pour over milk and stuff it into the refrigerator. In the morning, spoon on some honey, yogurt and top with some fresh fruit and you’re good to go!

This lemon ginger muesli is 1000% A++++.

// To make the muesli, shred one apple. Place the shredded apple in a bowl with 1/2 cup of muesli mix. Add in enough milk {any kind or use apple/orange juice} to cover and place in refrigerator overnight. In the morning, serve with fresh fruit and yogurt.
// If you don’t have some of the dried fruit or nuts/don’t like them, just fill the space up with what you do have (sunflower seeds, chopped dates, etc.). I like my ratio of oats to fruit/seeds/nuts to be 1:1 but you can easily make it to have more oats or fruit, etc.
// If you’re gluten free, make sure the oats are gluten free. If you’re vegan, sub the milk with a non animal milk (almond, rice, etc.) or juice. Use agave syrup or maple syrup instead of honey -and use vegan yogurt or just skip the yogurt, it’s just as delicious.

Lemon Ginger Muesli {gluten free, vegan}
2 1/2 cups oatmeal
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup almonds
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup cranberries
1/3 cup raisins
1 Β½ tsp fresh ginger
Zest from 1 lemon

Place the ground flax into a pan over medium heat. Toast until it smells nutty.

In a large bowl, combine the toasted flax with the rest of the ingredients

Pour into a jar and cover it with a lid. Store in a dry place.

To serve, follow the notes above.

1. Sprinkles of Sweetness on

August 23, 2015 at 9:02 pm says

Your pictures look gorgeous! Also where did summer go? Seriously it feels like just a few days ago school ended. But this will definitely brighten up my (super early) mornings.

August 23, 2015 at 9:12 pm says

I know right?!!! Thanks πŸ˜€

2. Courtney | Fork to Belly on

August 24, 2015 at 1:20 am says

My favorite part about a new school year is starting fresh too! I love picking out a new and completely blank planner every year :)
    Prepping breakfast ahead of time is always a lot easier on those of us who love sleeping in. I haven’t had muesli in years, but I love your version here! I’ll have to try it sometime!

August 30, 2015 at 3:25 pm says

Hahhaa picking out new planners + notebooks is the best!! Thanks Courtney!!! πŸ˜€

3. YuenShan @ YuenShan.com on

August 24, 2015 at 7:03 am says

Museli is absolutely my favorite breakfast. It’s so customizable and I can load it up with so my fruit (all natural sugars so it’s good for you too). Plus, it keeps my full and energized for the entire morning so I won’t snack on anything in between.

Thanks for the tip on the flaxseed-in-oven-popcorn-effect. I have some whole flaxseeds at home too, but now I know never to try it – unless I want flying mini-popcorns..

Good luck with the new school year! :)

August 30, 2015 at 3:26 pm says

For me, it’s more of a problem that I don’t have anything to snack on until our lunch period πŸ˜€ Hahhaaaa yeahhhhh don’t do it.
      Thank you YuenShan!

4. Jasmine on

August 24, 2015 at 9:13 am says

Your pictures are absolutely stunning! And I love the look of your blog. Looking forward to more posts. :)

August 30, 2015 at 3:26 pm says

Aww thank you so much Jasmine!

August 24, 2015 at 11:39 pm says

I remember what it was like being in school and feeling like the beginning of the year occurs when it’s the beginning of the school year. Even 5 years after college has ended, I still feel like September marks the start of a new year. I think years of thinking this way has made it a habit. This muesli looks so delicious. I’ve never had muesli before but you’ve convinced me with your description and photos. I wish I had known about this back when I was in school as there were definitely many early mornings with not enough time to prep gorgeous, filling breakfasts like this! Lovely!

August 30, 2015 at 3:33 pm says

No more early mornings for you? That must be soooo nice! πŸ˜€
      Thank you for such a sweet comment Beeta! πŸ˜‰

6. Sarah | Well and Full on

August 25, 2015 at 1:48 pm says

Enjoy your year at high school… I know everyone says this, but in the blink of an eye you’ll be on to college. It’s so admirable that you’re setting new goals for yourself for the year! :) Also these photos are gorgeous!! <3

August 30, 2015 at 3:36 pm says

ahaha I agree. I was just thinking today, hmmm this year I’m a sophomore, does that mean I’ll be a junior next year?!!! Time goes fast when you look back and ahead, but it’s rests at the present moment. πŸ˜€

7. Emma @ Bake Then Eat on

August 26, 2015 at 7:03 pm says

I too love muesli I think its a great way to start the day especially when its paired with fruit and yogurt. I’m loving the lemon and ginger flavouring here!

August 30, 2015 at 3:36 pm says

Thank you Emma! It makes me think of the tropics, although I’m not sure why I would be thinking of anywhere hotter than here right now. πŸ˜€

8. Lauren on

August 29, 2015 at 9:08 am says

Hello! I’ve included this recipe in my list of oat-tactic recipes to check out in my blog’s Saturday round-up. Don’t worry: it’s simply a link that takes my readers to your fantastic blog. :) Have a great weekend!

Lauren / The Oatmeal Artist

August 30, 2015 at 3:38 pm says

Aww thanks Lauren! I’m really glad you liked the post and decided to share it. It means the world to me πŸ˜‰