Search

Brown Butter Pain au Chocolat-8

Brown Butter Pains au Chocolat {a step by step guide with .gifs} //pains au chocolat au beurre noisette

August 9, 2015 | 43 comments

The English translation isn’t quite right for pain au chocolat… I mean, they’re translated into chocolate croissants but the croissants aren’t chocolate like a chocolate cake. They have little batons of chocolate in them, melty, sticky and utterly delicious. I guess we’ll just have to call them brown butter pains au chocolat. Some things just get lost in translation :/

Brown Butter Pain au Chocolat-2

Brown Butter Pain au Chocolat-3

Brown Butter Pain au Chocolat-5

Brown Butter Pain au Chocolat-7

In all relevancy to this post, I just couldn’t resist listening to this song that a teacher told me about earlier… I regretted it later though because it’s that type of song that just gets stuck in your head and will. not. come. out. (fyi it’s in French and it’s called le petit pain au chocolat -how can you resist now?). merci bien madame…

Anyhow, let’s get back on topic shall we (were we ever on topic?) ?? Remember these croissants au beurre noisette ?(brown butter croissants… now i’m just either getting braggy on you or i’m practicing for french class -hush Anne stop talking!) If you don’t/haven’t seen them yet, I think you’d better take a look at those right now.

Done? Okeydokie.

Brown Butter Pain au Chocolat-6

Brown Butter Pain au Chocolat-4

Well now you have to make these because the croissants only used up 1/3 of the dough. And also, who can resist brown butter and chocolate?! These brown butter pain au chocolat/brown butter chocolate croissants/pain au chocolat au beurre noisette are absolutely a+++. They’re flakey, flavorful, and so so pretty + adorable!!! The warm melty chocolate kinda oozes out and fills the little airy holes and the brown butter, ofc makes it the most flavorful croissant you’ll ever eat. In short, they’re utterly delicious so go go make them now!

Brown Butter Pain au Chocolat-9

And we thought brown butter cookies were good…

p.s. Do they look like they have little faces to you?? Pains au chocolat has always looked like they have little tiny faces to me.

// Brown butter croissant recipe is here. The dough is cut into 3 pieces so that you can make ~10 croissants + 6 pains au chocolat + 12 of what’s coming up next week. Or you can do a combination of two of them. Or just single one out because you like it so much.
// You can melt chocolate to make little 3″ batons, use premade batons, or just chop chocolate and place it in a line.

Brown Butter Pain au Chocolat {a step by step guide with .gifs} //Pain au chocolat au beurre noisette

1/3 of brown butter croissant dough -see notes
chocolate -see notes
1 egg

Roll out the croissant dough so that it measures ~6 in by 12 in. Trim the edges to expose the layers and then cut out 3 by 4 in rectangles.

Place chocolate along the shorter edge and roll up once. Add in some more chocolate and then roll it up fully.

Place on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest until puffy and jiggles when shaken, about 2 hours. When you poke it, it should spring back a little but not all the way. It should not deflate :/

Preheat the oven to 425 F.

Beat the egg and brush it on the croissants. Make sure you don't brush egg wash onto the exposed layers. Wait 5 minutes and brush it on again.

Bake at 425 F for 12 minutes. Lower the temperature to 375 F and bake for 10-13 more minutes, or until golden.

They're best served freshly out of the oven, burn your fingers + tongue hot. Just kidding. But they are better warm.

1. Thao @ In Good Flavor on

August 9, 2015 at 10:24 pm says

Whatever you want to call them they look utterly delicious!! I get songs stuck in my mind all the time, even songs that I don’t care forβ€”it gets annoying.

August 10, 2015 at 7:08 pm says

I know right?! Thanks Thao!

2. Claudia | The Brick Kitchen on

August 10, 2015 at 2:47 am says

I LOVE that you made your own croissant dough! And it looks so gorgeously perfect with all those holes and chocolately goodness through it… YUM! I can’t say that I really see little faces in them though… you might have to point them out for me!

August 10, 2015 at 7:09 pm says

Hhahaaaa I always think that the chocolate baton thingies showing through make up the eyes and that end part of the dough that’s rolled into the inside makes the mouth. It could just be that I have an overactive imagination though. πŸ˜‰

3. Josefine on

August 10, 2015 at 7:25 am says

I am so amazed by how pretty your croissants are! Gorgeous!!
    I love pain au chocolats. And you are so right – a pain au chocolat is NOT a chocolate croissant πŸ˜‰
    And despite your warning that I might now be able to get the song out of my head again, I will jump right over to Youtube now and listen to it πŸ˜‰ hehe

August 10, 2015 at 7:10 pm says

Thank you!!!! You’re gonna regret it… πŸ˜€

4. Anu-My Ginger Garlic Kitchen on

August 10, 2015 at 8:05 am says

Whatever the name is, they looks absolutely DIVINE! I am dying to have one right from the screen! YUM!

August 10, 2015 at 7:10 pm says

Thank you! They’re absolutely delicious πŸ˜€

5. Harriet Emily on

August 10, 2015 at 9:13 am says

These pains au chocolat are perfect! They look so incredible. I could eat them all right now! I wish I could grab one out from my screen!

August 10, 2015 at 7:11 pm says

Hahhaaaa thanks πŸ˜€

6. marcie on

August 10, 2015 at 12:56 pm says

It’s been far too long since I made croissants — these look amazing! To me, chocolate croissants are definitely the best — these are just perfection!

August 10, 2015 at 7:11 pm says

Make demmmmm -you won’t regret it πŸ˜€
      Thank you Marcie!

7. Andreea on

August 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm says

Wow, this looks amazing! I love your gif, with the “how to”. I never had the courage to make croissants or pain au chocolat, you are my hero!!!! :)

August 10, 2015 at 7:11 pm says

Hahhaaaa thanks Andreea!

8. Faith (An Edible Mosaic) on

August 10, 2015 at 2:51 pm says

These are absolutely gorgeous! Pain au chocolat is my husband’s absolute favorite pastry – I’d love to give this recipe a try!

August 10, 2015 at 7:12 pm says

you really should!!! It’s quite easy and most of its time before ending up in your stomach is in the refrigerator anyways… πŸ˜€

9. Abby on

August 10, 2015 at 9:06 pm says

These are GORGEOUS, Anne. LOVE! <3

August 11, 2015 at 2:07 pm says

Awww thanks Abby :)

10. Ludmilla on

August 10, 2015 at 11:27 pm says

OMG!! Your photos are beautiful!! I loved this recipe!! I’m crazy about sweets in general!!

Ludmilla

August 11, 2015 at 2:07 pm says

Hahhaaaa me too!!! This website is basically an ode to desserts + breakfast. Thank you Ludmilla!

August 11, 2015 at 2:12 pm says

Thanks Shiran! That means a lot coming from you. Your photos are always gorgeous too <3

11. Sabrina on

August 11, 2015 at 1:55 pm says

These look sooo amazing!

August 11, 2015 at 2:15 pm says

Thanks Sabrina! πŸ˜€

12. Emma @ Bake Then Eat on

August 11, 2015 at 2:05 pm says

Wow these are seriously beautiful and the brown butter is just inspired. I love the idea of these πŸ˜€ And your photographs are so beautiful too!

August 11, 2015 at 2:15 pm says

Thank you so much! Brown butter is awesome πŸ˜‰

13. Helen @ Scrummy Lane on

August 11, 2015 at 3:42 pm says

Hello, Anne! Ohhh, I love this post … I love everything about it, especially the little gif showing me how to roll up the dough with the choccy inside!
    I’ve just come back from a little trip to Paris, actually, so now you’ve really got me wishing I was back there! :-)

August 15, 2015 at 7:36 pm says

Hahahaaa I’m glad they make you want to go back -I’ve never actually been there so it’s nice to know they have that francey vibe πŸ˜€

14. Kathryn @ The Scratch Artist on

August 12, 2015 at 2:15 pm says

Love the GIF! These look really great. I am going to heed your warning and not listen to that song! I have enough songs that get stuck in my head. I don’t need to add another :-0

August 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm says

ahahaha me too -all day everyyyyday πŸ˜‰

15. Mel on

August 13, 2015 at 4:05 am says

Oh wow, these look absolutely divine!

August 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm says

Thank you Mel!

16. Yuen Shan @ YuenShan.com on

August 13, 2015 at 12:12 pm says

I had a pain au chocolat everyday when I was in Paris! This makes me so nostalgic!
    By the way, I found this great article on which brand of butter tastes better. It’s on salted butter so it’s more for spreading on bread, but I’m sure the corresponding brand’s unsalted version will be just as good! These brands looks like they were tested in the US, so they should sell it where you live. Take a look, hope this helps!

August 15, 2015 at 7:39 pm says

Thanks for the link! The only reason (ok well two) that I didn’t go butter hunting is because I didn’t feel like it and also they’re all so expensive for butter! I dunno but the “good” butter that I found here was ~$6 per pound! So yeahhhhhh brown butter πŸ˜€
      Anyhow, thank you for the info πŸ˜‰

17. whitney on

August 13, 2015 at 3:45 pm says

These look delicious! I don’t know if I have the patience to make pastries, but these look like they might be worth it. That being said, we have a little bakery just down the street that serves the most amazing pain au chocolat…it even rivals anything I’ve had in France!

August 15, 2015 at 7:41 pm says

Oh you’re so lucky! The only ones that I’ve ever had were from payless and costco… I must say that these homemade ones are 2000 times better πŸ˜€
      Thank you whitney -they’re totally worth it πŸ˜‰

18. Ala on

August 13, 2015 at 7:33 pm says

EEeeeeeee–I’m so glad I found your blog after you commented on mine last week! Yours is GORGEOUS. Simply gorgeous! As are these rolls–um, what? Can I please eat my screen? If I do, will my computer screen be damaged? And would it be worth it? (Answer: heck yes!) Hope you have an AWESOME Friday, gal!

August 15, 2015 at 7:42 pm says

Awww thanks for the sweet comment Ala! It made my week πŸ˜€
      p.s. somebody should really invent a food transporter via photos/internet. It would totally be worth it

19. Marissa on

August 14, 2015 at 3:29 pm says

By any name, these look absolutely delicious! Just look at that airy dough…you are a master!

August 15, 2015 at 7:45 pm says

Hhahaha thanks Marissa!!!

20. Lisa on

August 20, 2015 at 4:35 pm says

Les pains aux chocolats sont la meilleure chose au monde pour le petit dΓ©jeuner. β™₯ C’est tellement bon!

August 21, 2015 at 8:41 pm says

Merci Lisaaaaaa!!! Tu as de la chance parce que tu ne dois pas les faire pour les manger πŸ˜€ Je ne les ai jamais vus ici…