horchata bubble tea-21

Horchata Bubble Tea with Ginger Infused Bubbles!!!!

July 5, 2015 | 22 comments

Bubble tea horchata? Horchata with bubbles??? I really have no idea what to name this drink. I mean it’s horchata with bubbles from bubble tea but there’s no tea in this! And horchata bubble drink just makes it sound like some artificial mysterious liquid. 😐

Either way in my opinion makes this humble drink sound so exotic! Horchata is a mexican drink that’s perfect for summer because you can stuff it with ice cubes and it’ll still be so so delicious. It’s made with rice (and sometimes almonds) to create a frothy, cold, creamy drink which is so easy it’s unbelievable. I mean, come on I’m 15 and I made it in about 15 minutes (not counting the resting period but counting the clean up time {cause I’m a crazy teenager who takes forever to clean up so you can assume that 90% of the time was taken up by washing dishes})

horchata bubble tea-15

horchata bubble tea-20
Anywho, I don’t know what’s so deliciously intriguing about the chewy tapioca bubbles, but they’re seriously the bomb dot com. If you haven’t tried it because chewing on stuff while drinking on a drink doesn’t sound pleasant, get over it and try something new!!!! Since they’re relatively tasteless, I made a syrup with brown sugar and GINNNGGERRR because cinnamon + ginger just seem to go together (fyi there’s cinnamon in horchata). 😀 😀 😀

horchata bubble tea-19

horchata bubble tea-17

horchata bubble tea-18

So yeah, go make this NOW!!! It’s summer so if you’re like me, you’re sitting at home just waiting for the perfect excuse to go make something in the kitchen. If you’re not, this drink is creamy, refreshing and CINNAMONY + GINGERY it’s so very refreshing on a hot summer day (but if it’s cold where you live right now, i’m soooo sorry). :(

horchata bubble tea-14

P.S. How to make ice cubes without an ice cube tray

If you don’t have an ice cube tray nor do you have a refrigerator that makes ice, you can make ice by filling a mini muffin tin with water and sticking it in the refrigerator!

horchata bubble tea-11

-Bubbles are available at pretty much any Asian supermarket, sold under the name ‘boba.’ I really don’t know the difference between bubble and boba :/
-Alternatively, you can use the directions on the package for the boba since there are so many different kinds with different cooking times (i’m talking about the 5 min ones and the reg ones).
-Instead of using boiling water for the rice and letting it rest for 2 hours, you can use room temp water and let the rice soak overnight.
-You can add tea to this since it’s basically sweetened rice milk with cinnamon.

Horchata Bubble Tea with Ginger Infused Bubbles!!!!
For the bubbles
1/2 cup uncooked boba
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
3 coins of ginger
For the horchata
1/3 cup rice
boiling water
2 cups water
1/4-1/2 cup condensed milk
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Boil an inch or two of water in a saucepan over medium heat. Pour the uncooked boba into the boiling water. Stir and let boil for 10-25 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Add water as needed. The boba is ready when they're black and when eaten, either have a tiny, tiny hard uncooked dot in the middle, or are completely cooked through (aka not hard anywhere when chewed). Let sit in the hot water for 20 minutes. Drain the cooked boba and put it in a bowl.

Boil the brown sugar, 1/2 cup water, and ginger together until the sugar is fully dissolved. Pour over the boba and add enough water to just reach the top of the bubbles.

For the horchata, pour the rice into a small bowl and add in some boiling water -enough to cover the rice by 2 inches at least. Let the mixture rest for 2 hours.

Line a bowl with some cheese cloth.

Drain the rice and place it in a food processor or blender. Add in the water, 1/4 cup condensed milk, and cinnamon. Pulse until the mixture is grainy -for about 2-3 minutes. Pour over the cheese cloth, gather up the edges of the cloth and squeeze out the liquid. Chill in the refrigerator.

To assemble, put some bubbles in a glass, add some ice and pour over the chilled horchata! I also like to top with some cinnamon, but that's completely optional.

July 5, 2015 at 9:46 pm says

This looks SO great! And so good to know that it’s easy! I will have to make this for my bff because she LOVES horchata. I also love the tapioca bubbles, they’re so fun! :)

July 6, 2015 at 11:08 am says

What’s not to love? Thanks Beeta -your comments are always so sweet!

2. Courtney | Fork to Belly on

July 5, 2015 at 10:09 pm says

What a unique idea! I love horchata and boba, I can only assume I’d love the both together :)

July 6, 2015 at 11:09 am says

It’s absolutely delicious! 😀

July 6, 2015 at 5:19 am says

Il fait 35° degrés à l’ombre en ce moment! Ton horchata sera la bienvenue !
    En Espagne on a aussi une boisson typique de la ville de Valence, qui s’appelle l’horchata. Mais en Valence elle est faite à partir de un fruit qui s’appelle le souchet ( chufa en espagnol). Elle est délicieuse ! Je voulais la faire mais en France je n’arrive pas à trouver cet fruit.

July 6, 2015 at 11:18 am says

Tu rigoles ??? Il y fait très très très chaud ! 😐
      Je n’ai pas su ça !!! C’est intéressant !

4. Harriet Emily on

July 6, 2015 at 2:19 pm says

This recipe is stunning! I’ve never tried making bubble tea at home before!! What an amazing idea :) I love it!

July 8, 2015 at 10:45 am says

Thank you!

July 8, 2015 at 10:45 am says

Thanks Maryanne! 😀

5. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef on

July 6, 2015 at 9:32 pm says

I’ve had bubble tea in a restaurant and horchata the same way. Combining the two is very clever!

July 8, 2015 at 10:45 am says

Thank you Maureen!

6. Kennedy Cole| KCole's Creative Corner on

July 9, 2015 at 11:08 pm says

I have heard WONDERFUL things about bubble tea, but I have never made it myself. I think you have definitely inspired me to make this, though! I love the health benefits of ginger, so this dish looks DELICIOUS!

July 16, 2015 at 9:53 am says

Yaaasssss bubble tea is awesome! Thanks!

7. Josefine on

July 16, 2015 at 8:48 am says

I’ve never heard of horchata before – but it sounds heavenly! So good. And (dare I confess) I’ve never tried bubble tea let alone bobbles bought at Asian super markets. But I’ve heard it’s so good. And they look amazing in this drink. Yums!

July 16, 2015 at 10:01 am says

Hahahaa I didn’t try them until a few years ago. There’s something about being in a crowded supermarket and drinking bubble tea that makes you crave for more 😀
      Thank you!

8. Cher on

August 22, 2015 at 7:40 am says

BUBBLE TEA! A Taiwanese treasure! I always miss it when I’m abroad, although I seldom drink it back at home. Your version looks delicious, ginger! I like the addition! Wish I could had a sip!

Hi Anne! I’m so glad you stopped by my blog because yours is BEAUTIFUL! And you’re only 15 of age, astonishing. I have a lot to learn from you. I wished I found my passion so early on, you have a very good start, will be looking forward to many more of your recipes to come. Great inspiration!!

August 23, 2015 at 9:11 pm says

Hahhaaa thanks so much for the sweet comment Cher!!! It made my day 😀
      And I know right? Bubble tea is the BEST. The first time I had it was in a crowded supermarket in China, burn in your mouth hot, probably laced with BPA and other chemicals, but oh it was so good!!!

9. Bec on

August 22, 2015 at 7:47 am says

Wow, this looks amazing Anne!! I love bubble tea:)
    What a beautiful blog you have!

August 23, 2015 at 9:11 pm says

Awww thanks Bec!!! Bubble tea is amazing, I love it too 😉

10. deb on

September 6, 2015 at 6:03 am says

I haven’t made bobas in years, this makes me want to get some! They are really fun and I still have some of thise big straws!

September 6, 2015 at 9:07 pm says