Black Forest Doughnuts-3

Black Forest {gateau} Doughnuts + How to Pit Cherries!

June 21, 2015 | 42 comments

Hey friends!!!

Is summer supposed to be a blur? ‘Cause nearly half of it is already and I can hardly believe it. I still have this whole list of stuff to do but then again, I only expected to get 10% of it done anyhow… :/

Okay, so I’ve been working on this doughnut recipe for the past few days. Ya’ll know how crazy against frying I am. I mean, I will probs do anything to the dough before frying it. I’m a baker (aka I use the oven), and the stove scares me like nothing else. Don’t even talk about the crazy hot oil that completely goes NUTS if so much as a droplet of water gets in.

Black Forest Doughnuts-6

Black Forest Doughnut-4

Black Forest Doughnuts-7

But guys! I slayed that fear and fried these doughnuts. I could’ve easily just baked some cake doughnuts (after all, these are supposed to be based off of a black forest cake), but I wanted them to be doughnuts, not just a single layer of cake with a hole in the middle.

And then I spent half a day deciding whether to make a regular dough or a chocolate dough for these doughnuts. I decided on chocolate (as you can probs see by the pics), which was absolutely amazing. It’s substantial yet extremely fluffy and slightly bitter (from the cocoa powder) yet sweet enough (espesh with the glaze). Since this is inspired by black forest cakes, I made a whipped cream filling and folded in a cherries cooked in red wine instead of kirsch because I didn’t feel like asking my parents to buy alcohol. :/

Black Forest Doughnuts

Black Forest Doughnut-2

Black Forest Doughnut

Black Forest Doughnuts-4

OH the cherry mixture could have easily been replaced by maraschino cherries, but I happen to absolutely despise their bright red color and sickeningly artificial flavoring. They DO NOT taste like real cherries… ug… Rant over.

These doughnuts turned out to be fluffy and chocolaty, with the perfect ratio of slightly bitter to sweet. The whipped cream melts in your mouth with the amazing flavor of cherries (I think you can probs still taste the red wine, but idk… never tasted red wine, because I’m 15 :/) The glaze + chocolate shavings give it a little crunch to add to all that fluffiness.

Black Forest Doughnuts-5

Black Forest Doughnut-5

Black Forest Doughnut-3

Black Forest Doughnuts-7

-Don’t be scared by the lonnnngggggg recipe. It’s really easy and comes together reasonably quickly (as compared to a 3 layer cake).
-If you just want an yeasted chocolate doughnut, without the glaze and all that tasty stuff, I would suggest adding another 2 tbsp of sugar to the dough, just to make it sweeter.
-Everything but the whipped cream can be assembled ahead of time. In fact, the cherries actually taste better after being marinated for a day or two.

Black Forest {cake/gateau} Doughnuts + How to Pit Cherries!
Chocolate Doughnut Dough
2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp milk
pinch of salt
Red Wine Cherries
1 cup cherries
3 tbsp red wine
Juice from 6 key limes (1-2 reg lime)
¼ cup sugar
Whipped Cream
1 cup cream
2-3 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
Chocolate Ganache
1/2 c chocolate
1/4 cup hot cream
To Top
chocolate shavings
whole cherries {from the cherry red wine mixture, if desired}
For the Components

For the dough, combine the milk, yeast and 1/2 cup of bread flour in a large bowl. Let rest for 30 minutes. Add in the rest of the ingredients for the dough. Mix and knead until you get a smooth dough. Let rise for 1 hour. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to be a thickness of 1/2 - 1/4 inch and cut out ~3 inch circles. I used a mason jar lid. Let rise for 30 minutes.

Heat some oil in a saucepan over medium heat. There should be at least 1.5 inch of oil in the pan. When a chopstick stuck in the oil causes bubbles to go up, the oil is hot enough. Turn the heat down to medium low and drop in the risen rounds of dough. Fry for 2-3 minutes on the first side and then 1-2 minutes on the second. Place on a plate with paper towels and let cool.

For the glaze, combine the powdered sugar with the salt and add in the milk one tablespoon at a time until the glaze is thick and liquidy.

For the cherries in red wine, pit the cherries for the red wine cherries. Here's how you pit cherries.

With a pastry tip:

With a knife:

Combine the pitted cherries, wine, lime juice, and sugar together in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid in the pan thickens slightly. Let cool.

For the whipped cream, whip the cream ingredients until the mixture forms soft peaks.

For the chocolate ganache, combine the chocolate and cream. Wait for 1 minute and mix until smooth. Let cool until to a spreadable consistency.

To Assemble

Dip the doughnuts into the glaze mixture. Let dry.

Meanwhile, combine the whipped cream and the cherry mixture. Stuff it into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip.

Fill the doughnuts with the mixture in the pastry bag.

Spread on a layer of chocolate ganache. Sprinkle on chocolate shavings. Top with a dollop of the whipped cream mixture and a cherry.

1. Courtney | forktobelly.com on

June 21, 2015 at 4:52 pm says

OH MY GOD. These are phenomenal and perfect and just everything right now!!!! Frying totally scares me too, I’m way more comfortable using the oven but isn’t it so satisfying to get real donuts right? So gorgeous, Anne. *bows down*

June 21, 2015 at 9:23 pm says

Omg yassssss!! Real doughnuts do beat baked ones, unfortunately… :/
      Thank you so much Courtney!

2. Rebecca@Figs and Pigs on

June 22, 2015 at 1:22 am says

Hi Anne thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, this is the first time I’ve visited your blog and its wonderful I’m so glad I’ve found you. These doughnuts are beyond amazing and they look so impressive to say you’ve not really made them before. Also awesome gif.

June 22, 2015 at 7:02 am says

Awww thank you!

3. Hannah | The Swirling Spoon on

June 22, 2015 at 3:59 am says

Anne, good on you for giving the deep frying a go! Are you a converted fryer now though? Or is it a work in progress? 😛
    These look like over-the-top deliciousness! This is totally the doughnut I’d go for if I saw such a flavour at a doughnut shop!

June 22, 2015 at 7:03 am says

Hahahhaaa. No. Deep frying has too much clean up (aka a pot full of oil, ewwww) and I still despise deep frying 😀
      Thank you Hannah!

4. Abby on

June 22, 2015 at 10:35 am says

OMG, these doughnuts look absolutely incredible. Love! <3

June 22, 2015 at 2:19 pm says

Thank you Abby! 😀

5. Sam @ SugarSpunRun on

June 22, 2015 at 11:03 am says

Stunning photos! These donuts sound incredibly, once again I am impressed!! :)

June 22, 2015 at 2:20 pm says

Thank you!

6. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice on

June 22, 2015 at 12:33 pm says

These donuts are absolutely gorgeous! I’ve never had a black forest kind before, so I’m sure these are amazing!

June 22, 2015 at 2:21 pm says

They taste like the cake, except fried! Thanks!

7. Jess @ whatjessicabakednext on

June 22, 2015 at 12:50 pm says

These donuts look delicious! Love black forest gateau – definitely one of my favourite desserts! They’re so fudgy and good!

June 22, 2015 at 2:21 pm says

Yassss black forest cake is the best!

8. Christina on

June 22, 2015 at 3:09 pm says

Yowzas! I have no words… these are amazing!

June 23, 2015 at 7:11 am says

Thank you! 😀

9. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef on

June 22, 2015 at 6:52 pm says

What a great idea to use doughnuts to make a cake! I love this and it looks delicious!!

I have always used a cheap cherry pitter I got from the discount store but it’s nice to see these methods work too if I can’t find the pitter in the drawer. :)

June 23, 2015 at 7:12 am says

Hahahaha no pitter here -my kitchen is already full of tools…

10. Ben Maclain@havocinthekitchen on

June 22, 2015 at 11:37 pm says

I’m get used to a concept of donuts being rather a simple dessert. But that you’ve got here is a finesse! These are one of the most sophisticated and elegant donuts I’ve ever seen. Beautiful work!

June 23, 2015 at 7:13 am says

Thank you! They’re actually really simple, just a few extra layers that really don’t account for anything because you’ve got to use them anyhow (whipped cream + cherry) 😀

June 23, 2015 at 12:17 am says

Wow, Anne! First of all, I can’t believe you’re 15. This looks like some serious pastry artwork right here from someone who has had years and year of experience in the kitchen. Someone who doesn’t make desserts might think that doughnuts are easy enough to make, but they can kind of be a labor of love, especially when it comes to getting a fluffy result that isn’t super greasy or demented in shape, or worse, causing some serious accidents with the hot oil. These look like perfection, and I’m glad to know you fried them with success! As for the cherries, I’m so with you; maraschino cherries are so not appetizing. Not to mention, they’ve got so many bad things in them that I don’t think they should even be available for consumers to purchase. Your real cherry garnishing looks so so lovely; the red wine substitute is a great idea. I also never thought about pitting cherries using a pastry tip – that’s so genius! I adore the fact that you did a chocolate doughnut. How authentically black forest-like! Overall, I’m so so impressed by this recipe – it’s so stunning and looks so incredibly delicious. Bravo, Anne!!

June 23, 2015 at 7:15 am says

Omg thank you so much Beeta!!!! They really weren’t that hard to make -I kinda just threw stuff on top and hoped it would look okay :/
      Your sweet comment totally made my day 😀

June 23, 2015 at 2:37 am says

Doughnuts façon foret noire !! Une recette très intéressant et irrésistible ! Des très belles photos Anne qui donne envie de croquer l’écran de l’ordinateur !

June 23, 2015 at 7:16 am says

J’ai envie trop souvent de le faire…
      Merci Eva!!!

June 23, 2015 at 7:16 am says

.gifs are so helpful sometimes! Thank you!

13. Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog on

June 23, 2015 at 6:25 am says

Making doughnuts is definitely on my summer to do list! Love the sound and look of this recipe, and I definitely love the tips on how to pit cherries-so helpful :)

June 23, 2015 at 7:17 am says

Yay! Pitting cherries make my hands look bloody :/

14. David @ Spiced on

June 23, 2015 at 7:11 am says

Anne! These doughnuts are incredible! I’m like you…I would much prefer to bake my doughnuts than fry them. But frying doughnuts has been on my bucket list for a while now, so I think I just need to get over it and pull out the fryer! Oh, and the chocolate dough was clutch here…these look delicious!!

June 23, 2015 at 7:20 am says

Thank you!!! I know, frying doughnuts has been on my bucket list for a while also. I was waiting until the summer to actually do it 😀

15. Harriet Emily on

June 23, 2015 at 11:10 am says

Oh my gosh Anne! Black forest gateau is my all time favourite dessert!! I love that you transformed the dish into doughnuts, that’s such an incredible idea. These are absolutely stunning! They look so amazing, and I bet they taste so delicious. I will have to make them! The photos are so beautiful, and I love the info on how to pit cherries – I always struggle doing that!

June 24, 2015 at 10:40 am says

Thank you!!! If you do make them, do tell how they turn out! ;D

16. Shiran @ Pretty. Simple. Sweet. on

June 23, 2015 at 4:16 pm says

Anne this looks amazing! I’m not totally against frying, but I do prefer baked donuts. I’ve just been looking at all your recent recipes, and I love them all! Everything sounds amazing and your photos are beautiful!

June 24, 2015 at 10:41 am says

Hahaha me either, but I do try to avoid frying (because: hot oil). Thank you so much Shiran! Your pictures are always beautiful!

June 24, 2015 at 10:42 am says

Thank you!

17. karrie @ Tasty Ever After on

June 24, 2015 at 2:47 pm says

You did not just make black forest doughnuts, did you? I love black forest cake and it is pure genius to make it into a doughnut!! The fryer is coming out this weekend. Woohooo! Thanks in advance for my pants fitting a little more tightly next Monday :)

June 26, 2015 at 11:26 am says

Hahahaaaa thank you for the sweet comment!!! Do tell me how they come out! ;D

18. Christina @ Bake with Christina on

June 24, 2015 at 9:06 pm says

Wow – those doughnuts look incredible! Would love a huge bite out of one of those babies right now!! Pinned :)

June 26, 2015 at 11:26 am says

Thank you!

19. Maryanne @ the little epicurean on

June 24, 2015 at 11:10 pm says

Ahhh! I love black forest cake, but I love doughnuts more. You’ve managed to combine two of my favs into one. You are AMAZING! Also, whattttt? I cannot believe you are only 15. What I would give to be able to take such stunning photos at that age :)

June 26, 2015 at 11:27 am says

Thank you so much Maryanne!!! Your pictures are always stunning too, and I’m always learning from them!