IMG_2421

Mini Matcha Meringue Layer Cake with Strawberries and Coconut Whipped Cream {gluten free}

May 10, 2015 | 21 comments

You know that season that’s supposed to be warm and breezy outside (aka my fav season evar –spring)? Yep, it doesn’t exist where I live. Somehow, we skipped it and it became summer again. Summer and tennis season hasn’t ended (aka everyone dies in the heat –>figuratively even though we say it so many times, you’d expect us all to have passed out already) and we’re doing conditioning in the HOTTEST OF ALL WEATHERS.

IMG_2403

IMG_2362
IMG_2403

Don’t get me wrong. I love this time of year, when everyone’s talking about what they’re going to do over summer vacation (learning more computer programming/redesigning & reprogramming a website anyone? only me? okay…) and counting down to the days left until school’s over (but finals come before…).

IMG_2392
IMG_2404

Even though it’s so miserable outside, plants are loving it! My strawberries are going nuts; each plant must have round 5-10 strawberries and I have a sizable patch of them. I was too impatient to wait for all of them to ripen so I bought some from the store and used them to make this super light meringue layer cake!

IMG_2418-2

How can you not want to eat this cake? Firstly, it’s MINI = CUTE!!!! And then its layers are made out of MERINGUE –> NO FAT… oh and MATCHA!!! It tastes like a cup of tea except so much better. Oh and then there’s the STRAWBERRIES in COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM. Yes, you read me right —> coconut whipped cream with strawberries. Does it get better? I think not (not I don’t think, but I don’t think… gahh you know what I mean).

-Coconut cream isn’t an exotic ingredient. Usually, you can buy regular canned coconut milk and stick it into the refrigerator for 24 hours. Open and spoon out the solid stuff.
-If you don’t like matcha/don’t have it, you can leave that and the boiling water out and assemble everything else. However, I would suggest making a chocolate ganache (mix 1:1 hot milk/cream:chocolate by weight) and adding that before the coconut whipped cream in assembly to make the cake a bit more interesting.
-Meringue cake inspired from Top with Cinnamon.

For the layers
1 tsp matcha
2 tsp boiling water
3 egg whites
1/2 cup superfine sugar (or powdered sugar)
For the coconut whipped cream
1/2 cup coconut cream (chilled so it's solid)
2 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
To assemble/decorate
strawberries -diced + others sliced in half
toasted coconut flakes

Preheat the oven to 225 F.

In a small bowl, mix the matcha and the boiling water together until no lumps remain. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. Slowly add in the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Spoon in the matcha mixture and whisk until evenly distributed.

Pipe 3.5 inch rounds on a parchment sheet and bake for about an hour, or until dried and crunchy.

For the coconut whipped cream, mix the cream and powdered sugar together. Beat until soft peaks form. Mix in the vanilla.

To assemble, put a meringue disk on the bottom, spoon on about 2-3 tbsp coconut whipped cream and top with diced strawberries and coconut flakes. Repeat putting on the meringue, coconut whipped cream and toppings until all the disks are used up. On the top disk, dollop on some whipped cream and add the coconut flakes, then scatter on the strawberries that are cut in half.

Serve immediately eton mess style or freeze it to cut the cake more cleanly.

We’ll end with a few pics I took on a walk.

IMG_1871
Untitled-2
IMG_1899
Untitled-1
Untitled-3-1
IMG_1933

1. Matea on

May 10, 2015 at 9:08 pm says

Seems like we’re both going through a whipped coconut cream craze, which I’m totally excited about!
    I just finished school Friday (finally!) You can make it through finals; I know you can :)

June 7, 2015 at 7:59 pm says

Hahaha, now I can say “me too,” instead of “i’m jealous!”
      I’m still alive so you predicted right! Thanks so much Matea! 😀

2. Sam @ SugarSpunRun on

May 11, 2015 at 8:36 am says

I definitely need to try that whipped coconut cream with strawberries, it sounds amazing! Your photos are lovely and this cake looks amazing and very unique! Love it!

June 7, 2015 at 8:01 pm says

Thank you Sam! Whipped coconut cream with strawberries makes lives better. Seriously. Do eht.

3. Coley on

May 11, 2015 at 9:56 am says

This looks and sounds delicious. I’m just going to have to try it sometime! Your pictures are amazing and those strawberries look wonderful!

June 7, 2015 at 8:01 pm says

Thank you so much Coley!

June 7, 2015 at 8:03 pm says

ikr?

4. Maryanne @ the little epicurean on

May 11, 2015 at 5:16 pm says

I totally agree, mini = cute! I love the combo of strawberries and matcha! (P.S. the pictures from your walk has convinced me it’s time to get off my computer and go outside)

June 7, 2015 at 8:03 pm says

Hahaha, wish I had the time. It’s the summer tho, so I should have no more of such excuses!

5. Amanda Kohr on

May 16, 2015 at 1:19 pm says

Hi there!

Your blog is so beautiful, and your pictures are just marvelous. I’m so happy to have stumbled upon this little corner of the internet. I especially love how you stacked everything.

I would love to connect more, and stay blogger friends, if you’re interested. Hope to see more posts soon. :)

Warmly,

Amanda // cozycaravan.com

June 7, 2015 at 8:05 pm says

Thanks Amanda! Of course, why not? 😀

6. ZazaCook on

May 18, 2015 at 11:07 am says

So beautiful! This looks so incredibly good!!!

June 7, 2015 at 8:05 pm says

Thank you!

May 18, 2015 at 2:38 pm says

Wonderfuls pictures Anne ! Quand je vois tes fleurs dans ton chemin, je me dis que c’est comme même un peu le printemps chez toi ! Ton dessert est stupéfient ! J’aime bien tes mélanges inattendus, tu as peur de rien !
    Très beau dessert :)

June 7, 2015 at 8:12 pm says

Hahahaa eva… Les fleurs seront toujours le même… éblouissant, mais de coute durée ! J’aime les préserver avec des photos !
      On peut dire ça, mais j’ai peur de beaucoup de chose comme steak tartare ! 😛

8. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef on

May 21, 2015 at 6:27 am says

I love your matcha meringe cakes. Light, delicious and perfect for dessert.

I laughed when I saw the last photo. When I was a kid I couldn’t help myself – I would split the seed bit and stick it on my nose. I was the only one who thought it was funny. :)

June 7, 2015 at 8:13 pm says

Hahaha thanks Maureen! I used to shower them down my apartment building (it was 3 stories high) onto my brother’s head! 😛

9. Ben Maclain@havocinthekitchen on

June 10, 2015 at 8:09 pm says

Such a fancy and sophisticated guy! There’s something really lovely in mini cakes. Perhaps, it’s that you can eat the whole cake on your own without guilt – it’s still only one (large) serving, right? :) Nicely done!

June 10, 2015 at 9:27 pm says