Search

IMG_2156

Nut-free Sesame and Matcha Macarons

May 3, 2015 | 24 comments

It’s no secret that I love combining asian flavors into more traditional desserts. I mean what else do you expect from an average Asian teenager living in America? Chocolate chip cookies? Nah…

However, I’m surprised that these macarons worked out as well as they did. I’ve experienced a million failures with a bunch of different recipes but I think I’ve finally found one that works!

IMG_2176

IMG_2164

It’s from here, via Linda’s beautiful blog, Call me Cupcake, and it’s the most simple recipe that I’ve used! The recipe is basically 1 part egg whites, 2 parts powdered sugar, and 1 part almonds. Can it get simpler? I think not.

IMG_2095

I wonder though, what is the definition of a macaron? Can I say I made macarons even though I accidentally only used powdered sugar and egg whites? Technically, I made a bunch of really sweet meringues but they still had feet so…

So, yes, I made macarons with two ingredients… it’s the result of being absentminded; I’m blaming it on the lack of sleep. 6 hours every night does not suffice even though my brain’s gotten used to it and now I can’t sleep more than 6 hours.

IMG_2161

IMG_2162

Anywho, back to the macarons. They taste exactly like Chinese tang yuan (which basically translates to soup rounds), but don’t be scared away because of the name. It’s a chewy rice ball that flows out sesame sesame lava…
Oh and the matcha buttercream??? Hahahaaaaa… Try keeping your finger out (or don’t, you know… it’s your choice).
Hey dear sir, tea with your macarons? NAH there’s tea in my macaron… (But to be totally honest, I totally drank tea with this)

IMG_2089
OH one more thing (not on macarons, sorry). Finals are coming up in a few weeks, so I might be absent a bit.

I think that is the most uncohesive piece of text that I’ve ever written.

-To toast sesame seeds, cook them in a pan until you hear a popping noise.
-Be careful when grinding the sesame seeds… It will turn into sesame paste really easily.
-Stiff peaks means when you can tilt the bowl over your brother’s head without the egg whites sliding out (not that I’ve ever tried it…).

Nut-free Sesame and Matcha Macarons
For the sesame macarons
50 grams toasted black sesame seeds
100 grams powdered sugar
50-55 grams egg whites (about 1-2)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the matcha buttercream
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp matcha powder
2 tsp hot water

In a food processor, grind the sesame seeds until powdery. Add in the powdered sugar and pulse again until well blended.

In a large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites with the granulated sugar until stiff peaks form. Pour in the sesame seed mixture and mix until it's the consistancy of thinish pancake batter.

Pipe rounds onto a baking sheet.

Preheat the oven to 300 F.

Let the macarons sit until you can lightly touch it and no batter sticks onto your finger.

Bake for 10-14 minutes.

To make the buttercream, beat the butter until fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar. In a small bowl, mix the hot water and matcha powder together until no lumps remain. Let cool and add to the butter mixture. Beat until creamy.

To assemble, sandwich some buttercream in between two cookies of the same shape and size.

1. Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness on

May 3, 2015 at 8:49 pm says

I love your macarons, they sound wonderful. The matcha butter cream sounds perfect perfect match for you macarons.

May 10, 2015 at 9:00 am says

Thanks Dawn!

May 4, 2015 at 3:16 am says

Anne, tu ma surpris à nouveau ! Les macarons sont très techniques à réaliser ! J’ai les ai fait qu’une fois ! Les tiens sont divines et le goût que tu as choisis est surprenant digne d’un grand pâtissier !
    Je te prends un photo pour mon Pinterest 😉

May 10, 2015 at 1:39 pm says

Merci!!! J’adore faire les macarons. C’est très amusant! 😀

3. Harriet Emily on

May 4, 2015 at 3:34 pm says

These look absolutely amazing! I’ve never tried sesame or matcha in a macaron before, and these look so delicious!!! I will definitely have to try making them :)

May 10, 2015 at 1:40 pm says

You must try them sometime! The sesame especially makes the macaron really special!

4. Ala on

May 5, 2015 at 9:47 am says

Tang yuan is one of my favorite desserts EVER. Seriously, I’m so bookmarking and sharing this recipe soon! Also, best of luck with finals–we’re hitting that time of year around here ourselves soon 😉 you’ll own it!

May 10, 2015 at 1:43 pm says

Very much agreed, tang yuan is the BEST. Thanks so much Ala!

5. ZazaCook on

May 5, 2015 at 12:10 pm says

Your Macarons are fantastic! Gorgeous photos :)

May 10, 2015 at 1:48 pm says

Thank you!

6. Cathy on

May 5, 2015 at 11:17 pm says

LOVE that teacup! And of course black sesame anything is automatically a favorite for me. Looks delicious :)

May 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm says

Sesame = no wrong choices.

7. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef on

May 6, 2015 at 7:19 am says

I laughed all the way through this post. I think these macarons sound really good and they are very different. :)

May 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm says

Is there an inside joke that I didn’t catch? :/

8. Helen @ Scrummy Lane on

May 9, 2015 at 6:22 pm says

Hello! These macarons look absolutely perfect! And how wonderful that they’re inspired by your love and knowledge of Asian flavours. Love these!

May 10, 2015 at 1:50 pm says

Hi! Thanks so much! Actually half of the stuff I bake is basically fusion :p

9. Susannah // Feast + West on

May 12, 2015 at 8:38 pm says

Wow, these are so gorgeous, Anne! Your photography is really stunning. I also seriously love the china pattern on the teacup you used! So pretty. And I bet the macarons taste beautifully too. 😉

June 7, 2015 at 8:04 pm says

Love the teacup too! It was actually for English class (don’t ask), but it doubles as an excuse to get a really cute cup! Thanks Susannah 😀

10. Ben Maclain@havocinthekitchen on

June 10, 2015 at 8:17 pm says

The combo of sesame and matcha? Wow, that sounds interesting – never seen anything like that (and sure never ever would I have figured out on my own). Love your Asian-inspired incorporation to this European classic! Well done!

June 10, 2015 at 9:28 pm says

Thank you! Sesame + Matcha = awesomeness <-- my attempts to get math into this conversation.

11. Berny @ I Only Eat Desserts on

July 1, 2015 at 6:31 am says

Beautiful photography and this sesame macaron recipe looks interesting. I always fail using the French meringue method when making macarons so great job being able to make yours with this method!

July 3, 2015 at 2:44 pm says

The French method is 10000 times easier so I prefer it. Thanks Berny!

12. Jen on

October 20, 2015 at 10:05 pm says

Hi,

I just tried texting recipe. Pretty good. Ho do I ensure they don’t Crack on top? Also they didn’t rise as much as yours. What do think I did?

I’m practicing so I can make them for my baby’s 1st bday. Her nickname is Sesame. :)

You’re right. They totally taste like tang yuan! Beautiful pics and I hope my second batch will be prettier.

Warmest,
    Jen

October 20, 2015 at 10:21 pm says

You probably overmixed (it’s common…) and they’re not really supposed to ‘rise’. Next time, just mix less before you pipe it. It also helps to let the pipped rounds sit before you bake them 😉
      Your baby sounds so cute! I totally love that nickname 😀