backgroundimg

How to make Mooncakes {with step by step .gifs}

September 7, 2014 | 15 comments

Mooncakes are so purty… And expensive.

One mooncake is like 6 dollars. Seriously?? What do they fill it with?? Gold?

IMG_9766

Especially since they’re so easy to make at home. Especially if your family loves the crust and you don’t have to make the crust thin as a crepe.

IMG_9749

{btw, I have done a post on this before but the photos made one want to throw up and it’s a bit more time appropriate now}

Go go make these!! What are you waiting for? The mid autumn festival is tomorrow!!! 😀
IMG_9771

IMG_9763

IMG_9741

IMG_9740

-They say you have to let these sit for 2 days… But who can wait that long?? My family eats them once they get out of the oven!
-Mooncake moulds are easy to find online. I use the wooden ones, but there are plastic ones too. I suspect the plastic ones would be easier to use.
-If you don’t want to order a mould, you can probs stick it into a cupcake tin and then flip it out. You just won’t get the prettay design!
-Flour the mooncake well before you stick it into the mould. Unless you love cleaning out mooncakes from moulds. And remaking them.
-You can use a lot of things as filling. I like lotus paste or bean paste. If you thought far enough ahead, you can also stuff in an salted duck egg yolk.
-The filling should be about the same consistency as the dough. Or else the design might become washed out. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
-My recipe for golden syrup here.

To wrap these, it’s a bit difficult to explain. Which is why I made .gifs!!

Flatten one piece of the dough into a pancake-like shape. Roll the filling into a ball and cover with the dough. Pinching and rolling make the dough completely cover the filling. ↓

output_8OA2c2

output_z4gQ5d

How to make Mooncakes {with step by step .gifs}
160 g golden syrup
64 g oil
1/2 tsp baking soda
250 g flour
Filling (i.e. lotus paste, bean paste)

Mix the golden syrup, oil, and baking soda together. It will bubble a bit (because of the reaction from the syrup and baking soda).

Add in the flour and mix until it creates a smooth dough. Let rest for at least 15 minutes.

Divide the dough and filling into pieces.

Flatten one piece of the dough into a pancake-like shape. Roll the filling into a ball and cover with the dough. Pinching and rolling (see .gifs if you're confused) make the dough completely cover the filling.

Dust it with flour.

Stuff it into the mould and take it out gently. I used a wooden mould, in which case, you have to pound the mould against the table on all sides and then flip the mooncake out. If you're using a plastic mould, I assume all you have to do is stuff it in and gently push it out (using the lever thingy).

Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 355 F for 7 minutes. Gently brush with a beaten egg and then bake until browned. Around 10 minutes.

They say you're supposed to let these rest for 2 days after baking, but my family devours them before then!

1. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef on

September 7, 2014 at 9:46 pm says

You make it look easy. I bet it would take a while to learn that technique. I need to give this a try!

September 9, 2014 at 3:58 pm says

It takes a few tries, but its really easy to get the hang of! 😀

2. Karen - 2Teaspoons on

September 7, 2014 at 10:37 pm says

Beautiful photos! I’ve never had a mooncake before, but now I’m really intrigued. Do you and your family have a favorite filling? Have you tried using a salted duck egg yolk???!!! Also, the gifs are super helpful…it really looks like you have the technique down pat :-)

September 9, 2014 at 4:03 pm says

Thank you! I don’t know, I think we like all fillings! 😀 I have tried salted egg yolk, except it was from a chicken because I didn’t want to find duck eggs. They taste really similar anyhow. But, you have to make them ahead of time (a month) and I never think THAT far ahead so I usually don’t use it. If you want to though, you just take an egg yolk (if you did it long enough, it will be kinda stiff like) and steam it and then wrap it in lotus paste. Follow the rest of the steps as shown. I love .gifs!

3. shelley @ Bacon Egg & Cheese{cake} on

September 7, 2014 at 11:25 pm says

ahhh too late! I already bought my mooncakes for this year 😉 I’ll make them next year!!! yours look awesome though… gotta find out where i can score some of those molds.

September 9, 2014 at 4:17 pm says

Awww, too bad! You can get them on amazon. I got mine from China from an online site called taobao.

4. PassTheKnife on

September 8, 2014 at 3:14 pm says

Adorable little cakes. I love your tutorial, thanks for sharing a great recipe!

September 9, 2014 at 4:19 pm says

You’re welcome! 😀

5. kikucorner on

September 8, 2014 at 8:42 pm says

Delicious! Luckily one mooncake can feed as many people as a $6 cake!

September 9, 2014 at 4:19 pm says

Depends on how big the mooncake is… Mine were quite small… 😀

September 9, 2014 at 9:44 am says

Je ne connaisse pas de tout ces petits gâteaux mais ils ont l’air très bon ! Le “lotus paste” ou est qu’on peut trouver?

September 9, 2014 at 6:06 pm says

à l’épicerie asianique… I don’t know if there is a such thing in France. But, you can probably try online or you can make it yourself. All you do is soak the lotus seeds in water overnight and pinch out the green sprouts (those are bitter). Then shimmer them for about 2 hours until tender and mash them in a food processor until smooth. Stirfry the paste with some oil until glossy and thick (think cookie dough). Cool and there you have it! You can also just use bean paste which is more common and easier to find than lotus paste. If you want to make it, it’s basically the same steps (but no green sprouts…).

• Eva on

September 10, 2014 at 4:00 am says

Merci Anne 😉

7. Michelle @ Vitamin Sunshine on

September 12, 2014 at 5:13 am says

Beautiful! I live in SE Asia- it was just Mooncake festival, and I had several moon cakes delivered to me at work :) I’ve never seen the moulds here- but I imagine they shouldn’t be too difficult to find!

September 12, 2014 at 5:17 pm says

Yes, you can get them on amazon! I used the wooden kind, but I think many prefer the plastic pushy outy kind!