Search

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-edited

Thin Mints with Candied Mint Leaves

July 1, 2014 | 13 comments

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz edited

When I first tried to bake one of the classic American cookies, AKA fatty & full of butter and sugar :), I didn’t have one of the main ingredients. Butter….

So, I went out (well, my parents and I did… ) and bought butter. At least what we thought was butter… It turned out to be Philadelphia cream cheese.

I was 7 and I came from China. (hello inability to read!)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz edited

Thankfully, I had a friend who told me that it was NOT butter… I wonder how it would have tasted!

Don’t worry, I used butter for these cookies and not cream cheese.

IMG_7416

These thin mints have a slight minty flavor because of the fresh mint leaves and no mint extract. Soooo ggggooooodddddd!!!!

zzzzz edited

And if you are wondering about my qualifications to call these “thin mints”, trust me, I do. We bought like 10 boxes of these my first and ONLY year of being in Girl Scouts. Why? Because people ordered and then weren’t home to give us money! And yes, I know they usually don’t have candied mint on them. But this is homemade, people!!!

Enjoy!

Thin Mints with Candied Mint Leaves
for the candied mint leaves
mint leaves
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg white
for the cookies
1/2 cup softened butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp fresh mint leaves
1 egg
2/3 cup melted chocolate
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp butter
1 tsp mint extract (optional, depends how minty you want it)

For the candied mint leaves, beat the egg white until frothy and brush over mint leaves. Sprinkle sugar over them and then let dry.

Cream the softened butter, sugar, and fresh mint leaves together. Beat in the egg, then the chocolate. Add in the rest of the ingredients except for the candied mint leaves. Roll into a log and freeze for 1 hour. Slice them about 1/8th inch thick and bake at 400F for 13-15 minutes, or until nice and crunchy.

Enrobe in tempered chocolate and top with a candied mint leaf.

1. tworedbowls on

July 1, 2014 at 8:34 pm says

Ha, that’s too funny! Glad you sorted it out in the end. These are lovely. :)

July 1, 2014 at 9:43 pm says

Thanks so much! We ended up with a bag of cream cheese in the refrigerator for a year because we didn’t know what “cream cheese” was and what to do with it… It finally got thrown out. 😛

2. Tandy | Lavender and Lime on

July 2, 2014 at 2:34 am says

I love your thin mints! I have had the opposite when buying Chinese ingredients from a Chinese shop – I speak English and the lady only speaks Chinese. Thankfully I also had someone who could read the label and tell me what I had bought :)

July 2, 2014 at 7:00 am says

Hah! The labels usually have English on them, but it is usually translated kind of weirdly… Thanks!

July 2, 2014 at 3:58 pm says

Tu sais Anne? Une de mes gourmandises préfères au monde, c’est les After Eigth ! Le goût de chocolat mélange au fraîcheur de la mente, j’adore! Tes cookies m’on fait penser tout suite, J’imagine qu’elles sont superbes!
    Tu as commencer à cuisiner à 7 ans? toute seule?

July 2, 2014 at 5:56 pm says

Ah oui… Ma mère est une mauvais boulangère. Alors, j’ai dû satisfaire ma dent sucrée, non?

4. Caroline Hazel on

July 3, 2014 at 2:42 pm says

Ohhh, sOOOOOOO GOOD! :O I’ll definitely put on more than a couple pounds with this! Hahah, still gonna try it!

July 3, 2014 at 2:47 pm says

Oh yes! Don’t worry… Just pretend mint is a vegetable and say there are vegetables in it. Tell me how it turns out!

July 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm says

Thanks!! Tell me how they turn out!

5. Nagi@RecipeTinEats on

August 13, 2014 at 4:51 am says

These are so cool!! I would never EVER have thought to use mint for something like this! I am definitely trying this, my mint is seriously overgrowing right now :) Plus peppermint creams are my FAVOURITE chocolate (I know, I’m so weird) so this will be similar!

August 13, 2014 at 6:23 am says

Yeah, my mint grows really fast too. Just another reason to make mint stuff!!
      Peppermint creams are so good!! This is similar. Just remember to put in quite a bit of mint! 😀